Ceyms C win battle of the title contenders
Ceyms C came out on top as the leading contenders in Norwich and District League Premier B met in a rearranged game.
The current leaders were 7-3 winners over Wensum D. Ceyms raced into a 6-0, lead but Wensum managed to win three of the final four games to earn a point.
Ceyms also won 7-3 in their scheduled game, beating Gothic B. Robin Thaxter and Paul Barrett won all their singles.
Stuart Purling was in great form, winning all his singles against Wensum D to enable his team, Returners A, to get a point in their 7-3 defeat.
Dynamic Rams' pursuit of a top-three finish took a blow when they lost 6-4 against UEA B, for whom Tom Lo continued his very good season, winning all his singles games.
You may also want to watch:
Harriers B won the derby against Harriers C, with Peter Read in great form, winning a maximum in his team's 8-2 victory.
Foxwood D kept up their pursuit of a top-three spot thanks to maximums from Andrew Leeds and Carl Matthewson in the 8-2 win over Gothic C.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 4 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 5 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 6 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 7 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
- 8 First look at five new homes released for sale at popular site in Taverham
- 9 Former village pub for sale as home
- 10 Norwich City star tipped to reject move to Tottenham
In Division One, St Faiths Centre A scored maximum points away, winning 8-2 against Electricity. The only five-setter of the night was Dave Fordham's win over Paul Elsegood, and Keith Meader out-foxed him as well, in straight sets. Andy Cullum and Paul Arthurs took maximums.
St Faiths Centre B were also 6-winners in a contest that must be a candidate for match of the season. Foxwood H were 4-1 up at the halfway point. This included three five-set games, with Foxwood's Wayne Dunthorne beating Simon Halliday from 2-1 down and Ian Layt beating SFC's Richard Westgate and Simon in two long hard-fought battles.
However, a determined SFC B team dug in and managed to win the next three to level the score at 4-4. The last singles again went down to the wire. Richard took a 2-1 lead with some vintage power looping before Wayne pulled it back and looked like winning it at 10-6 up in the fifth. But Richard had other ideas and put away all his chances to take a vital win.