Celebrations for Steve – still pulling the strings at the age of 60 in the Norwich & District Sunday League
- Credit: Archant
A veteran footballer is proving things get better with time by playing at his highest level in the Norwich and District Sunday League at the age of 60.
Rugged centre midfielder Steve 'Stiff' Pope was in his mid-40s when he made his debut for Newsman Celtic Football Club.
More than a decade later and he's still pulling on the shirt most weeks, even though two promotions mean the team are currently in Division 1A.
To celebrate his dedication to the Eaton Park-based club, who normally play in green and white, a celebration night was held and he was presented with a commemorative photo book and signed framed shirt.
David Powles, club captain and secretary, said: 'Without Stiff, Newsman Celtic would be nothing. Off the field he's carried out many roles at the club, including manager, treasurer and secretary.
You may also want to watch:
'On the field he's like a fine wine and he'll probably be in Norwich City's first team by the time he's 70.
'He just also happens to be one of the nicest and most genuine people you could meet. A true Newsman and Norwich legend.'
- 1 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 2 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 5 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 6 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 7 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 8 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 9 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars