Celebrations for Steve – still pulling the strings at the age of 60 in the Norwich & District Sunday League
- Credit: Archant
A veteran footballer is proving things get better with time by playing at his highest level in the Norwich and District Sunday League at the age of 60.
Rugged centre midfielder Steve 'Stiff' Pope was in his mid-40s when he made his debut for Newsman Celtic Football Club.
More than a decade later and he's still pulling on the shirt most weeks, even though two promotions mean the team are currently in Division 1A.
To celebrate his dedication to the Eaton Park-based club, who normally play in green and white, a celebration night was held and he was presented with a commemorative photo book and signed framed shirt.
David Powles, club captain and secretary, said: 'Without Stiff, Newsman Celtic would be nothing. Off the field he's carried out many roles at the club, including manager, treasurer and secretary.
You may also want to watch:
'On the field he's like a fine wine and he'll probably be in Norwich City's first team by the time he's 70.
'He just also happens to be one of the nicest and most genuine people you could meet. A true Newsman and Norwich legend.'
- 1 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 2 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
- 3 'A lot of tears' as care home announces closure with 30 jobs lost
- 4 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 5 Shocking CCTV shows carer abusing woman with dementia
- 6 Man seriously injured after crash
- 7 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 8 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 9 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 10 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich