Cawston’s five-year domination finally over
For the last five years Cawston Bowls Club have been the top club in the NCBA, winning the County Club Championship and taking the Jason Roope Shield – but their reign was bought to an end on Saturday as Swanton Abbott took the title by 91 shots to 85 in a game played at Cromer Marrams BC.
Swanton Abbott started strongly and led by 21 shots to 17 after five ends, and increased the margin to 36-29 at 10 ends. By 15 ends Cawston had made a strong recovery and only trailed by one shot, 53-52.
Swanton Abbott increased their lead to eight shots at 20 ends (78-70) and held on to win after 25 ends.
They now go on as county champions to represent Norfolk next season in the inter county stage of the Durham Centenary Trophy, the final of which will be held next August at the EBF National Championships.
Rink scores (Swanton Abbott names first): N Bowman, E Shorter, I Wones 28; E Chapman, N Coverdale, S Adcock 20. T Neild, S Blanche, C Blake 18; G Kynoch, K Kemp, P Shackcloth 25. V Moore, M Coleman, L Blake 23; R Parker, A Middleton, J Hill 23. R Howard, M Wright, G Rice 22; S Hollywell, T Thrower, D Paige 17.
• With the final games of the NCBA County Federation Bowls League being played the outcome of the areas and sub areas has been decided.
Overall league champions were Cawston A with Cromer Crabs the runners-up.
- 1 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 2 Doctors baffled by teenager's horrific long Covid symptoms
- 3 Norfolk man amongst UK's 12 most wanted
- 4 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 5 Pub near Dereham has its first winners of steak-eating challenge
- 6 Couple explores Norfolk homes in Escape to the Country
- 7 Tucked-away house in same family for over 100 years up for sale
- 8 MAPPED: Where thousands of homes could be built in north Norfolk
- 9 Drunk student crashed into hotel wall after drinking tequilas
- 10 'Fantastic, loving, cheeky' 19-year-old killed in motorbike crash
Winners were: Area A Cromer Crabs. Area B Hickling A. Area C Gt Plumstead Tigers. Area D South Lynn. Area E Cawston A. Sub Area A Mill Farm, Sub Area B Filby A, Sub Area C Filby B, Sub Area D Gaywood Park B and Sun Area E RG Carter A.
Trophies will be presented at the county dinner at Pinewood Park Conference and Banqueting Suite on Friday, October 28.
• The Mitre are champions of the Norwich Business Houses League after securing the points needed to catch last year's winners Settlement House with victories over Coronation 84-77 (N Goose, S Lovett, M Rust 27-12) and Costessey Crown 84-68 (J Forster, R Long, K Read 27-14).
They lost their final match to Costessey Bush 84-78 (G Wilson, B McCarthy, P Massen 29-10), but this was not enough to prevent them from completing the double, having already secured the KO Cup.
At the bottom Sprowston Sports recorded a good win at Trowse 75-70 (D Meyers, J Shergold, D Holmes 29-10) which ensured their safety, Trowse, despite winning their last match against Coronation 83-58 (B Starling, J Smith, D West 27-16) join Catton in the drop to Division Two.
Winners: Singles M Burton (Anglian Windows), C Feltham (Wensum). Pairs J Fish, J Marshall (Norwich Brewery); S Tayt, J Lutkin (Costessey Crown), Triples: J Arthur, D Skipper, R Lutkin (Costessey Crown); J Murphy, B Cubitt, T Webb (Anglian Windows).