Caterham confirm John Iley arrival from McLaren
Norfolk team Caterham have confirmed the appointment of McLaren's John Iley in their bid to move up the Formula One grid.
One of motorsport's leading aerodynamicists, Iley's arrival in July will mark his reunion with Norwich-born chief technical officer Mike Gascoyne. The pair shared previous success at both Jordan and Renault.
Having been head of aerodynamics at McLaren – and before that, Ferrari – Iley will join the former Team Lotus constructor as performance director, heading up all aerodynamics and related activity in the Hingham team's bid to make their car more competitive.
Caterham chief executive Riad Asmat said: 'We are absolutely delighted that John has taken up the challenge we have offered him, to help take us to the next level on and off track in one of the key areas of performance in Formula One.
'It is a real sign of our growth and development as a serious contender for long-term honours that we can attract someone of John's calibre and we are all very excited about the contribution he will make to our future success from the moment he starts work with our team.'
You may also want to watch:
McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh added: 'John greatly contributed to the aerodynamic capability at McLaren but has taken the decision to accept an offer from Caterham for 2012 and beyond. We enjoyed working with John and wish him well for the future.'
- 1 People released from car after crash closes road
- 2 'There was a massive bang' - Fire outside Norwich coffee shop
- 3 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 4 'Heartless' fraudster stole from elderly hospital patients
- 5 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 6 Road remains closed after serious crash on A143
- 7 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 8 Water outages hit homes across city
- 9 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
- 10 Jailed in Norfolk this week: a corrupt police officer and a domestic abuser