Castle Acre Swifts close in on first ever league title

Division One leaders Castle Acre Swifts took an important step towards their first ever League Championship with a 2-1 win at North Elmham.

Their cause was helped by second-placed Morley Village losing by the odd goal of three at Yaxham, a result which also cost them that place as a result of Dereham Town A winning by the only goal of the game at Gressenhall. Northwold S&SC won 5-2 at home to Swaffham Town A and Tacolneston beat Rockland United by the odd goal of three to move up to fifth place. Narborough were beaten 3-2 at home by Thetford Rovers Reserves, a result which confirms they will finish in bottom place and be relegated to Division Two.

Division Two leaders West End also had an important win, convincingly beating second-placed Scarning United 5-0 to open up a six-point gap over their opponents with a game in hand. Nostro beat Hethersett Athletic 4-1 to climb up to third spot and Necton are up to fourth after beating Saham Toney Reserves by the odd goal of seven. In the other match, Sporle beat Cockers 4-1.

The top four in Division Three all won. The leaders Litcham won 2-1 at Attleborough Athletic and remain nine points clear of second-placed Stoke Ferry who won 4-0 at Colkirk. Weeting in third place went one better with a 5-0 win at bottom team Narborough Reserves. Hingham Athletic Reserves in fourth spot were 2-0 winners at North Elmham Reserves. Marham Wanderers won 6-0 at Rockland United Reserves and move a further place away from the relegation zone and Splitz United beat Great Cressingham 4-1 at home.

The top two in Division Four both won. Leaders Mulbarton Wanderers A completed a quick double over Castle Acre Swifts Reserves, beating them 7-0 while Feltwell United Reserves won 3-1 at home to Dereham Cockers United. Mulbarton's win ensures that they will be promoted which is a fine performance in their first season in the league. Beetley United are up to fourth after their only goal of the game win over Weasenham Wanderers and Tacolneston Reserves kept their promotion hopes alive with a 7-0 home win over bottom team Methwold United Reserves who became the first team in the league to complete their fixtures and to concede over 200 goals this season.

The semi-finals of the Dick Davey Ambulance Cup both ended up as 2-1 away wins. Shipdham triumphed at Bridgham United while Wendling won at Walsingham United to set up a final meeting at Aldiss Park on 24 April.

Bawdeswell won the last match in the group stages of the Fen Regis Invitation Shield to clinch the last semi-finals spot.

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter