Carshalton Athletic 2, Lowestoft Town 0
It was a bad day at the office for Lowestoft Town who despite dominating a poor game for the major part of the 90 minutes never seemed to carry the cutting edge needed to bring a goal and were finally beaten by two late goals.
The fact that both sides also managed to fail from the penalty spot just about summed up the afternoon.
The most sustained action came in the six minutes of added time which saw three substitutions, a second goal for the Robins and a missed penalty for the Trawlerboys.
Lowestoft dominated the opening 45 minutes but with little to show for their efforts. Michael Frew, replacing the suspended Jack Defty, worked his way through but shot against the body of Nick Hamann in the home goal and then saw his follow up blocked by a covering defender.
Chris Henderson released Joe Francis down the right and he cut inside Robert Bartley but screwed his shot just outside the near post. Andrew Fisk sent Frew away down the right and his low cross seemed a simple tap in for Chris Henderson at the far post but somehow Dwayne Campbell stretched out a foot to hook the ball away from the Town striker.
You may also want to watch:
Another fine build up from Lee Smith, Frew and Henderson saw the ball played back to Aaron Jones who could only place it wide of the far post and the half time whistle arrived with most present wondering how the scores were still level.
The second half started in similar vein with a Lee Smith free kick falling to Sam Gaughran whose close range shot was blocked and scrambled clear.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 3 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 4 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 5 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 9 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 10 Woman who bit an officer among eight people arrested in town
Carshalton were given a great chance to move ahead in the 74th minute when they were awarded a penalty as Blake Saker appeared to handle a long ball into the area. Lewis Taylor stepped up to send the spot kick into the net only to see the goal disallowed in bizarre circumstances. Apparently he slipped as he took the kick playing the ball from his right foot onto his left and then into the net, thereby touching the ball twice without anyone else getting a touch.
With the game seemingly heading for a goalless draw Carshalton took the lead in the 87th minute. Defending a right wing corner the Blues managed to clear the ball well outside the area but it was picked up by Hakeem Adelaken who sent in a 35-yard screamer through a crowded goal mouth to leave Jake Jessup helpless.
As the game moved into the six minutes of added time Robert Eagle replaced Aaron Jones and Danny Cunningham replaced Joe Francis with Carshalton bringing on Lino Goncalves to replace Jordan Clark. Four minutes into the added time Carshalton broke away for substitute Nathaniel Pinney to shoot past Jessup and inside the far post to seal Carshalton's win. There was still time for Frew to be brought down in the area but Henderson's spot kick was saved at the base of the post by Hamann.
• Carshalton Athletic: Hamann, Kamara, Bartley, Gomez Pico, Campbell (Sub Nolan 46), Roberts, Clarke (Sub Goncalves 90+4), Taylor, Mills (Sub Pinney 83), Sogbanmu, Adelakun, Subs (not used) Farquharson, Bradford.
• Lowestoft Town: Jessup, Saker, Ainsley, Fisk, Mitchell, Gaughran, L Smith, Jones (Sub Eagle 90+1), Frew, Henderson, Henderson, Francis (Sub Cunningham (90+1), Subs ( not used) Cockrill. Okay, Gomes.
• Attendance: 181