Caring anglers dig deep into their pockets at Jim Randell Memorial event
- Credit: Archant
Caring anglers at the Jim Randell (JR) Memorial event at Reepham last week dug deep into their pockets, helping to raise a princely sum of £1,102 to be divided equally between Critical Cancer Care at the Norfolk and Norwich University hospital and Cromer RNLI.
Barbara Randell, who lost her devoted husband on June 18 last year, presented the prizes and said: 'JR and I organised the RNLI charity event for many years and I am hugely grateful for this grand effort.
'I thank Rick and Kellie for the generous use of their venue, Rod Finch for donating a superb trophy and every angler who contributed freely to the fund with special mention for North Walsham organiser Dennis Goodwin and his colleagues.'
The winner was well-known Norfolk match ace Stuart Elmar (Wensum Valley) who bagged 45lb 2oz of carp to 9lb tempted on pellet at 14m - an excellent
The 31-year-old Dereham angler who helps run his family window and conservatory business, received the trophy and cash prizes totalling £150, prompting him to comment: 'I had a good week.
You may also want to watch:
'After winning the charity event on Wednesday I scored again with 116lb at Barford.'
Fishery boss Rick Broadway was runner-up with 43lb 12oz, then Tony Gibbons (NDAA) 32lb 11oz, and Dennis Goodwin 28lb 10oz.
- 1 New virus named after Norfolk village
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 No club record bid from City for Armstrong
- 4 Driving instructor shares terrifying videos of NDR near misses
- 5 Holiday park bosses pay tribute to 'popular' worker murdered in Norfolk village
- 6 Latitude labelled 'Covid fest' by health boss as staff forced to isolate
- 7 New landlords hope to serve up Thai food in suburban pub
- 8 Full-back signs for Burnley after Canaries release
- 9 Tzolis poised to complete Canaries switch
- 10 'Destination' fish and chip restaurant for sale
The Wicklewood bank holiday fixtures produced a spectacular fish fest.
Winner of day one was Neil Paske (Dereham) with 104lb 5oz, Steve Brown (Dereham) won day two with an excellent 119lb and in between them the Lyng club winner was Marvin Price with 105lb 6oz.
At Barford, Dave Jarvis (Suffolk AD) won on the Willow with 104lb 10oz, Stu Elmar clinched the Railway with 116lb and at Bridge Farm the two day champion was Gary Banbury (Oakwood) 3pp (151lb 8oz).
At club level, Paul Smith won the Zenith with 114lb 15oz at Bergh Apton where N.Gibbens was top veteran with 107lb 12oz and Alec Watson was Stalham's star with 115lb 6oz at Bartle's Lodge.
For a full round-up of results from the region's matches see page 51.