Canvey Island 16, Beccles 19
Beccles edged a thrilling encounter at Canvey Island to secure their third London Division 3NE win.
Canvey Island started quickly and a penalty kick for offside at a ruck was followed by a converted try.
Luke Wade struck three penalties to keep Beccles in the game before Canvey extended their lead to 13-9 with two further penalties either side of half-time.
Excellent midfield defence kept Beccles at bay as the Bulls struggled to maintain momentum despite dominance at the scrum. A yellow card which reduced Beccles to 14 men with 15 minutes to go looked to have secured victory for the home side but the visitors refused to accept defeat. Committed forward charges by Adam Edwards ground down the Islanders and forced a five metre scrum. Robert Wilson was then unstoppable to score wide out and the try was superbly converted by Wade to tie the score at 16-16.
Wade, relishing his fly-half role, then scored with a snap drop goal to give Beccles the lead for the first time with a minute to go. The home side earned a late penalty but it drifted just wide.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 2 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Victoria Hall murder: Suffolk strangler Steve Wright reportedly arrested
- 7 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 8 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 9 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 10 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre