Canaries told to double Eastwood offer

Norwich City have been told to double their offer if they want to sign Freddy Eastwood from Southend. The Canaries are reportedly ready to pay £1.5m for the 23-year-old, but have been told to go back and think again by Southend chairman Ron Martin.

By CHRIS LAKEY

Norwich City have been told to double their offer if they want to sign Freddy Eastwood from Southend.

The Canaries are reportedly ready to pay £1.5m for the 23-year-old, but have been told to go back and think again by Southend chairman Ron Martin.

The Shrimpers chief is understood to be looking for offers around the £3m for the coveted front-man, who has been closely linked with a move to Wolves.

Although it is understood that City haven't gone as far as submitting an official bid for Eastwood, there has been initial contact between the two clubs.

That much was confirmed by Martin, who looks increasingly certain to lose a player who has been Southend's leading scorer in each of his three seasons at Roots Hall and could leave for nothing next summer when his contract expires.

Most Read

“Norwich have made a bid for Freddy but I have told them that they are not offering enough,” confirmed Martin. “Freddy is being dramatically undervalued and is worth a lot more to this football club than £1.5million.

“That is what I've told Norwich and I still don't want him to leave.”

City traditionally refuse to comment on speculation, but yesterday were prepared to confirm their interest in Eastwood.

“We can confirm that Freddy Eastwood is one of a number of players we are looking at as potential acquisitions,” said a spokesman.

Eastwood made it clear after Southend were relegated to League One last month that he wants to stay in the Championship.

“I want to move on,” he said. “I've had three really good years, but having had a taste of the Championship, it's where I want to stay.”

That put a number of clubs on red alert - but could once again see Canaries boss Peter Grant up against Wolves boss and former Celtic team-mate Mick McCarthy as both men chase the same targets.

Wolves were the first club to test Southend's resolve with a £1m bid for Eastwood, and are also chasing Norwich target Billy Sharp.

Last seasons' play-off semi-finalists have had one bid rejected for Sharp and are believed to be reluctant to go up to the £3m mark which Scunthorpe's demands would cost.

City are thought to be ahead in that particular race after Sharp was given a tour of the club's facilities on Wednesday, but Wolves' activities may be put on hold because the protracted Molineux takeover by Steve Morgan - and the £30m that comes with it - has yet to be completed.