Canaries beat Ipswich to retain cup
Norwich City Ladies 1, Ipswich Town Women 0Norwich City Ladies retained the Norfolk & Suffolk Cup at Beccles, beating derby rivals Ipswich in what was a hotly-contested match between the region's two top sides.
Norwich City Ladies 1, Ipswich Town Women 0
Norwich City Ladies retained the Norfolk & Suffolk Cup at Beccles, beating derby rivals Ipswich in what was a hotly-contested match between the region's two top sides.
The Canaries started well and took the lead after nine minutes. A pacy free kick was delivered into the box from the right-hand side and was met at the far post by Rebecca Burton, who volleyed past Laura Bird.
Thereafter the game was a tight affair. Norwich's attacking target Nicola Bray was causing problems for the Ipswich rearguard, but there was plenty of trickery in the feet of Town's Danielle Bitten to keep the Canaries' defence occupied.
Norwich's Jodie Drake went close to doubling the advantage after the break, when her shot came back off the post. Ipswich then went close to pulling level when Amy Howlett ran 40 yards only to be denied by a brave piece of goalkeeping by Holly Clark.
Clarke was again called into action after 77 minutes, this time using her legs to block a Sian Fagg volley.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Weather warning in place as snow falls in parts of Norfolk and Waveney
- 3 Luxury manor for sale with a 'Hobbit house' in the grounds
- 4 School closed its doors for three days after Covid outbreak
- 5 Car flips over in crash near south Norfolk village
- 6 Unfinished barn conversion to go up for sale at auction
- 7 Norwich painter and decorator named best in the country
- 8 Emma Thompson backs Norwich charity which helped her daughter
- 9 Out of control dog attacked and killed sheep, court hears
- 10 OPINION: Delight when 'all you can eat' restaurants get their comeuppance
That save proved to be the difference, with Norwich weathering some late Ipswich pressure to ensure the silverware remained in Norfolk.
Norwich City: Clarke, Larkins, Peverley, Farman, Parsons, Smythe, Bygrave, Morris, Bray, Drake, Burton. Subs: Smith, Self, Perry.
Ipswich Town: Bird, Diston, Turner, Bitten, Smith, Pugh, Vaughan, Rex (Capt), Hawkins, Howlett, Everett. Subs: Harrison, Cook, Fagg.
Referee: Louis Dawson. Attendance: 104