Cambridge Regional College 2, Great Yarmouth Town 0
Despite a positive second half performance, Great Yarmouth succumbed to a 2-0 defeat away to Cambridge Regional College.
Strikes from Bobby-Joe Taylor and Ryan Ingrey midway through each half secured the points, before Philip Watkins and Russell Platten both had chances to help the Bloaters come away with a point.
Although CRC maintained the majority of possession it was Yarmouth that got the first shooting chance, Danny Burkle finding Platten who fired a shot that Salsano had to turn over the bar.
But it soon became all Cambridge as first Gnahore then Ingrey had shooting opportunities. And the home side took the lead after 22 minutes, Hurst crossing from the right for Taylor to volley home from no more than six yards out.
Yarmouth created the best chance of their own in the first half soon after, Fernando Vide sent Charlie McAra away on the left but after rounding the keeper and getting to the byline, instead of squaring for Watkins for an easy tap-in, he rolled the ball back to Platten who lost the ball outside of the area.
Cambridge had plenty of chances to double their advantage, the best coming a minute before half-time. Hurst found Ingrey whose shot was blocked with the rebound forcing a reaction stop from Ben Cudden. From the resulting corner Parn headed the ball wide of the near post.
Eleven minutes into the second half and Yarmouth were provided with an opportunity to level the scores. After good work on the right Vide found Watkins who fired wide from 18 yards out.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 2 This is when thunderstorms will hit Norfolk this week
- 3 Fire crews to remain at scene of nature reserve blaze overnight
- 4 Man's surprise at finding virtually naked man asleep on car in Cromer
- 5 'Help yourself' - farmer gives away tonnes of onions damaged by heatwave
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 Holidaymakers face further severe TUI delays from Norwich
- 8 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this week
- 9 Brother and sister found dead in home were grieving beloved father
- 10 Police catch over 20 drivers speeding in 45 minutes near fatal crash site
Cambridge doubled their advantage midway through the second half, Ingrey squeezing a low shot from 20 yards under Cudden
Yarmouth should have instantly hit back when Nathan Kemp crossed for Watkins but his volley at the far post ballooned over the bar when he could, and should, have tested keeper Salsano.
Seconds later a 25-yard shot from Vide was deflected behind, from the resulting corner Giacomelli could only get the faintest of headers to help the ball find the touchline on the opposite side of the pitch.
Giacomelli looked to make amends a minute later when another corner was cleared to the defender, but his volley deflected and looped straight to Salsano.
With seven minutes to go Cambridge won a corner which Yarmouth failed to clear, the ball hitting the bottom of the post and cleared off the line following a scramble.
• Cambridge Regional College XI: Alex Salsano, Michael Hancock (Connor Smith, 81), Kieran Westwood, Yacine Gnahore, Taylor Parn, Macauleigh Richards, BobbyJoe Taylor (Lamell Howell, 66) , Luke Allen, Ryan Ingrey, Liam Hurst, Sam Hope. Unused Subs: Ryan Dunn, Mark Bonner, Owen Kabodi.
Bookings: Richards (88)
Goals: Taylor (22), Ingrey (69)
• Great Yarmouth Town XI: Ben Cudden, Nathan Kemp, Leighton Crux, Danny Burkle, Sam Giacomelli, Jordan Forbes, Charlie McAra, George Barnden, Russell Platten (Marian Jobbagy, 79), Philip Watkins, Fernando Vide. Unused Subs: David Hackleton, Simeon Lee.
Bookings: Platten (71)
• Attendance: 98