Cambridge City 1 King’s Lynn Town 3 – Away win secures top-10 finish for the Linnets
A brace from Lee Stevenson and a goal from John Sands helped King's Lynn Town win their final away game of the season.
The Linnets took advantage of some slack defending by the hosts to come away with all three points, with Sands firing them in front in the 15th minute.
Stevenson's two goals, either side of James Hall's consolation for City in the 39th minute, put Lynn in control at the break and they never looked like relinquishing it in the second half as they wrapped up a win which ensured their top-10 finish with one game to go.
The Linnets took the lead in the 14th minute when Adam Murray lost possession to Sands on the edge of the City penalty area, and the Lynn forward made no mistake.
City were punished for some wastefulness in the 28th minute when Town doubled their lead, former Histon captain Lee Smith crossing for Stevenson to fire home. The home side reduced the deficit in the 39th minute when Jon Kaye crossed from the right, and after Lynn keeper Alex Street failed to catch the ball, Hall was on hand to poke the ball home.
You may also want to watch:
City's joy was short-lived though, as a foul by Kaye on Smith gave the visitors a free kick on the stroke of half time, and Stevenson rifled it into the bottom corner to complete the game's scoring before the break.
- 1 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 2 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 3 Ford and Jaguar crash in second incident near village in same night
- 4 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
- 5 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 6 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 7 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 8 Road closed after crash involving car and two tractors
- 9 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 10 Parking debate and police focus part of crackdown on 'keyed' cars
Cambridge City: Barrett, Cooper, Murray, Lewis, Day, Kaye, Brown, Harradine (Richardson, 74), Castiglione, (Woolfe, 62) Kelly, Hall. Subs not used: Midgley, Norman. Booked: None. Goal: Hall (39)
King's Lynn: Street, R Fryatt, Yong, Castellan, Gaughran, Smith (L Fryatt 58), Clunan, Stevenson, Hilliard, Sands (Edge, 63), Zielonka (Friend, 71). Subs not used: Hurst, Mulready. Booked: None. Goals: Sands (15), Stevenson (28, 45).
Referee: Paul Burnham.