Calls for more Norfolk nominations for the London 2012 torch relay
People in Norfolk are being urged to recognise people in their community by nominating them to carry the Olympic Flame.
As recently reported in the Evening News, a number of people in Norfolk have already made it in the shortlist to be a torchbearer ahead of next year's Olympic Games.
Although the London Organising Committee for the Olympic and Paralympic Games' (LOCOG) deadline for nominating torchbearers has closed, Lloyds TSB, the national presenting partner of the London 2012 Olympic Torch Relay, is still inviting nominations. The deadline is September 12 this year.
The torch relay will be a 70-day celebration, starting at Land's End on in May next year, travelling thousands of miles and bringing the spirit of the London 2012 Olympic Games to hundreds of communities across the UK. It will pass through Norfolk on July 4 on its way to the community celebration event in Norwich that evening.
Lloyds TSB is inviting the public, local businesses and customers to nominate somebody who has made a difference in Norfolk.
You may also want to watch:
Neil Mahoney, a regional director, said: 'We all know someone who has given something back to their neighbourhoods, supported others in the area and inspired their local community.'
So far, only 1.22 of Lloyds TSB's total nominations have been for people from Norfolk.
- 1 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 2 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 3 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 4 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 5 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 6 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops dream project
- 7 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 8 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 9 Derelict pub on eyesore site could be turned into new Co-op store
- 10 Norwich sonic boom: RAF confirms jet 'inadvertently' caused bang over city
To nominate an unsung hero, go to www.lloydstsb.com/carrytheflame.