Thetford Town pick up three points from two tight festive fixtures
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
The goals dried up at Mundford Road over the festive period - but there was still some joy for Thetford Town.
After recently netting 15 times to see off Hadleigh and FC Clacton on home soil the Brecklanders managed a grand total of one goal against Godmanchester Rovers and Fakenham Town but still picked up three points.
Danny White's side kicked off their Christmas programme against Godmanchester on Saturday with an unbeaten run of four games in the Premier Division of the Thurlow Nunn League behind them. But they were unable to keep up the good work as they lost a tight game 1-0 in an encounter they certainly deserved to take somethign from.
Thetford had their chances but in the end a 35th minute penalty awarded for handball, which was tucked away by Joe Furness, settled the issue.
It was then on to a Boxing Day morning encounter with a Fakenham Town side under new manager Andy Cunningham, and again the score was 1-0, with the home side this time coming out on top.
You may also want to watch:
Town got their noses in front after just 12 minutes as they put together a flowing move which ended with Bradley Sandell crossing for Jason Clarke to head home.
They created plenty of chances to have won the match comfortably, with Max Melanson volleying just over in the second half and Elliott Smith also going close, but in the end had to settled for a narrow win.
- 1 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 2 Incredible aerial photos show scale of Latitude Festival
- 3 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 4 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 5 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 6 Queues in Norwich as hundreds flock to cider and sausage festival
- 7 Man taken to hospital after cardiac arrest at beach
- 8 Park issues warning over bacteria which is toxic to dogs
- 9 City ready for Cantwell and Aarons end game
- 10 City confirm midfielder exit
It left them 13th in the table with 36 points from 26 games.
A busy spell for Thetford continues on Saturday when they travel to lowly Wivenhoe Town (3pm). Swaffham Town's superb run of wins in Division One was halted at local rivals Downham Town on Boxing Day morning.
The Pedlars went into the derby encounter with 11 victories on the trot behind them but were unable to make it 12 as they failed to build on an early goal and lost 2-1.
Swaffham went ahead on 15 minutes when Liam Reed pounced on an error from home keeper Joe Clements to prod the ball over the line but the hosts got back on level terms before the break and went on to win it in the second half.
A late call-off on Friday evening had put the brakes on the momentum built up by the Pedlars leading up to the festive season. Failure of a floodlight column at Rush Green Bowl ruled out the trip to the seaside to take on Holland FC.