Busy day of action in prospect at Cottenham
James CrispeCottenham hosts a busy day of equine entertainment on Sunday March 14 when the main attraction is the 102-entry Fitzwilliam (Milton) point-to-point (1pm).James Crispe
Cottenham hosts a busy day of equine entertainment on Sunday March 14 when the main attraction is the 102-entry Fitzwilliam (Milton) point-to-point (1pm).
Seven races are scheduled but there is every chance that the closing two and a half mile Maiden will have to be divided on the day as it has 30 entries and a maximum field size of 16. The finale is set to come under orders at 4.35pm but, should it need to be split, the second division will go off at 5.10pm.
The East Anglian Pony Racing season got under way at Ampton last Sunday and carries on with two more races here. These will take place before the steeplechasing, so an early arrival is necessary to catch them at noon and 12.15pm.
Another additional attraction is the Injured Jockeys Fund-sponsored legwax in the bar in the centre of the course at the end of the day. Organised by jockey Tony Williams, who received outstanding support from the IJF when he broke his leg last year, and his wife Becky, the event will see ten of the region's top jockeys go through the pain in full public view.
You may also want to watch:
Cottenham is four miles north of Cambridge near the B1049, post code CB24 8RG. It is best approached using junction 33 of the A14. Take the A10 signed for Ely. Then take the third left (after the Park and Ride and the Recycling Centre) to Landbeach. Go straight through the village of Landbeach, past the playing field, and take the first left out the other side. The course is half a mile further down this road.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Former hunting lodge for sale for £1.695m with huge lake
- 3 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 4 Never mind the limo - aspiring farmer rides tractor to prom night
- 5 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 6 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 7 Man suffers injuries after road rage assault near retail park
- 8 'The vibe is good' - Return to normality on first day of Latitude Festival
- 9 Thunderstorms set to put dampener on weekend
- 10 St Benedict's Street restaurant closes due to 'pingdemic'