Busy day of action in prospect at Cottenham
James CrispeCottenham hosts a busy day of equine entertainment on Sunday March 14 when the main attraction is the 102-entry Fitzwilliam (Milton) point-to-point (1pm).James Crispe
Cottenham hosts a busy day of equine entertainment on Sunday March 14 when the main attraction is the 102-entry Fitzwilliam (Milton) point-to-point (1pm).
Seven races are scheduled but there is every chance that the closing two and a half mile Maiden will have to be divided on the day as it has 30 entries and a maximum field size of 16. The finale is set to come under orders at 4.35pm but, should it need to be split, the second division will go off at 5.10pm.
The East Anglian Pony Racing season got under way at Ampton last Sunday and carries on with two more races here. These will take place before the steeplechasing, so an early arrival is necessary to catch them at noon and 12.15pm.
Another additional attraction is the Injured Jockeys Fund-sponsored legwax in the bar in the centre of the course at the end of the day. Organised by jockey Tony Williams, who received outstanding support from the IJF when he broke his leg last year, and his wife Becky, the event will see ten of the region's top jockeys go through the pain in full public view.
Cottenham is four miles north of Cambridge near the B1049, post code CB24 8RG. It is best approached using junction 33 of the A14. Take the A10 signed for Ely. Then take the third left (after the Park and Ride and the Recycling Centre) to Landbeach. Go straight through the village of Landbeach, past the playing field, and take the first left out the other side. The course is half a mile further down this road.
- 1 'I'm sorry' - Woman behind cancelled festival offers customers £100,000
- 2 Can you spot yourself in the Classic Ibiza crowd at Blickling?
- 3 New tenant bid for former Argos store on retail park
- 4 9 West End shows heading to Norwich in 2023
- 5 Congestion eases after crash on outskirts of Norwich by A47 junction
- 6 Brick and flint north Norfolk cottage a stone's throw from the beach on sale for £650k
- 7 Norfolk man's relatable videos earn him millions of views and celeb fans
- 8 Four taken to hospital after crash involving ambulance on A146
- 9 Adder warning in coastal areas as snakes come out to bask
- 10 Can you spot yourself in our pictures from Reepham Festival?