Bury Town 2 Dereham Town 1: Magpies left pointless on the road

Dereham Town striker Joe Gatting.

Dereham Town striker Joe Gatting. - Credit: Archant

Bury Town's second half fightback left Dereham Town pointless despite a spirited display at Ram Meadow, writes Rene Kendal.

Dereham got their noses in front in the sixth minute when Louis Mason found Rhys Logan on the right and he delivered an early cross towards the penalty spot where Joe Gatting firmly drilled the ball home.

Minutes later Gatting fired over the top when well placed after Logan had again been the provider. The home side threatened twice with Bradley Barber hitting a well struck 25 yard drive that forced visiting keeper Josh Glover into a full length save before Leon Ottley-Gooch scuffed a shot wide. Both sides continued to look to play constructive football on the muddy Ram Meadow surface.

Bury were denied by two superb saves from Glover in the 30th minute. Tom Debenham received Darcy De'ath's long throw and turned before hitting a left footer that looked to be heading for the net until Glover threw himself to his left to save. From the resultant corner the keeper made another top stop to keep out Kyran Clements'.

Dereham then should have increased their lead with Logan failing to covert Ryan Crisp's ball from the left from point blank range.

On half time Bury were fortunate not to have been reduced to 10 men when Barber only received a yellow card for a two-footed lunge on Crisp.

Play was frantic and scrappy at the start of the second period before Bury found an equaliser. Dereham keeper Glover failed to intercept Luke Read's flicked header enabling Ollie Hughes to nip in ahead of defender Frary and poke the ball home in the 60th minute.

Most Read

The home side came close again when Read side-footed inches wide from the edge of the box.

Dereham created a chance in the 68th minute when Mason's ball into the box was headed out to Frary, who fired a 20-yarder over the top.

Play soon switched ends and Tevan Allen headed home Ollie Hughes' cross to give Bury the points with 70 minutes on the clock.

Bury: O'Sullivan, De'ath, Cussak, Ottley-Gooch, Debenhams, Clements, Allen, Read, Hughes (Mathew 71), Barber, Aitkens. Subs not used: Garrett, Kennedy, Yaxley.

Dereham: Glover, Black, Ramm, Linford, Frary, Morphew, Logan (Gibson 83), Mason, Gatting, Crisp, Beaumont (Green 83). Subs not used: K Nhiwatiwa, W Viner.

Referee: D Greary

Attendance: 341

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter