Bury Town 2 Dereham Town 1: Magpies left pointless on the road
- Credit: Archant
Bury Town's second half fightback left Dereham Town pointless despite a spirited display at Ram Meadow, writes Rene Kendal.
Dereham got their noses in front in the sixth minute when Louis Mason found Rhys Logan on the right and he delivered an early cross towards the penalty spot where Joe Gatting firmly drilled the ball home.
Minutes later Gatting fired over the top when well placed after Logan had again been the provider. The home side threatened twice with Bradley Barber hitting a well struck 25 yard drive that forced visiting keeper Josh Glover into a full length save before Leon Ottley-Gooch scuffed a shot wide. Both sides continued to look to play constructive football on the muddy Ram Meadow surface.
Bury were denied by two superb saves from Glover in the 30th minute. Tom Debenham received Darcy De'ath's long throw and turned before hitting a left footer that looked to be heading for the net until Glover threw himself to his left to save. From the resultant corner the keeper made another top stop to keep out Kyran Clements'.
Dereham then should have increased their lead with Logan failing to covert Ryan Crisp's ball from the left from point blank range.
On half time Bury were fortunate not to have been reduced to 10 men when Barber only received a yellow card for a two-footed lunge on Crisp.
Play was frantic and scrappy at the start of the second period before Bury found an equaliser. Dereham keeper Glover failed to intercept Luke Read's flicked header enabling Ollie Hughes to nip in ahead of defender Frary and poke the ball home in the 60th minute.
- 1 A coach 'filled with people' and a van crash on the NDR
- 2 Heavy winds set to hit Norfolk as yellow weather warning issued
- 3 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 4 One person rescued after crash on A47
- 5 ‘We need action now’: Flood hit Broads business backs river barrier calls
- 6 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 7 Tribute to keen mountain biker who died on ride
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Idah out, Hugill back in for Canaries?
- 9 Theatre director's planning bid branded 'an attempt to rewrite history'
- 10 Ambulance chief: 'I'm sorry.... things will get worse before they get better'
The home side came close again when Read side-footed inches wide from the edge of the box.
Dereham created a chance in the 68th minute when Mason's ball into the box was headed out to Frary, who fired a 20-yarder over the top.
Play soon switched ends and Tevan Allen headed home Ollie Hughes' cross to give Bury the points with 70 minutes on the clock.
Bury: O'Sullivan, De'ath, Cussak, Ottley-Gooch, Debenhams, Clements, Allen, Read, Hughes (Mathew 71), Barber, Aitkens. Subs not used: Garrett, Kennedy, Yaxley.
Dereham: Glover, Black, Ramm, Linford, Frary, Morphew, Logan (Gibson 83), Mason, Gatting, Crisp, Beaumont (Green 83). Subs not used: K Nhiwatiwa, W Viner.
Referee: D Greary