Bunn wins fight for Trophy

Turnout for the first NBYC Open Cruiser meeting of 2011 was a little lower than usual, comprising eight of the faster boats and 10 slower.

Given the almost constant sunshine, at any rate after lunch, Force 2 on Saturday and edging towards Force 3, it was perhaps a little surprising.

Anyway, those there enjoyed two testing days, helped by the generally southerly wind which gave a good beat the length of the broad.

One at least who particularly enjoyed the weekend was Chris Bunn, who, with his team sailing Moonshadow, won the first three races in the faster section to clinch the Lady Caroline Trophy, a comfortable six points ahead of Peter Jeckells, with Mike Barnes and Robin Richardson a further point adrift and separated only by Barnes' last-race win.

The slower section was equally decisive, Geoff Angell starting with a second on Saturday, missing the second race, and finishing with two wins on Sunday to take the Mancuna Trophy, two points clear of Phil Davies, who recorded three seconds in the last three races. Ken Lord and Anthony Landamore each won one race on Saturday afternoon.

The Yeoman class enjoyed a five-race Open on Black Horse Broad. Alan Moore and Julie Bowers started strongly, winning the first race at a canter, followed by Paul Clarke and Mario Tinge, with David Hannant and Peggy Baxter third. Clarke and Tinge went on to win the second race, and then handled Sunday's more variable winds better to win all three races and take the honours.

Pam Goodman and Q Stewart, second race winners on Saturday, added a further couple of seconds to hold runner-up spot, while early pacemaker Moore was third overall.

Most Read

Frostbites spent Saturday afternoon at the seaside sailing the second leg of their 2011 team match against Wells SC in their Sharpies.

The first of the two races saw Chris Hardy and James Case of the home club win at a canter, with Frostbites taking second and third places, but as the hosts took the next two places they reduced their deficit from the first leg to nine points. All now hung on the second race, with the hosts needing the first three places to level the scores, and a visiting capsize or so to regain the Braconash Trophy, and until the final round they looked set to do this, with James Case and Chris Hard leading Chris Gibbs and Simon Neil way ahead of the rest.

Meanwhile, Sam Woodcock and Henry Joy, for the visitors, latched on to the third Wells boat sailed by Commodore Bob Curtis and veteran sailor Richard Cracknell and somehow caught up and delayed them sufficiently to let the other Frostbite boats through. To add insult to injury, the Wells Commodore capsized, incurring the vital one point penalty which left the visitors to take the trophy home.

Hickling peaked at 35 starters for their second race and the Juniors opted to join battle with the main fleet – Mike Cullum and Georgina Povall justified this with guns in two of the races.