Brightlingsea Regent 3 Dereham Town 1: Magpies beaten by champions
- Credit: Archant
Dereham lost their last away game of the season to Ryman League North champions Brightlingsea Regent.
Regent were the quicker out the blocks and Magpies goalkeeper Josh Glover saved well to deny Phil Kelly from long range but the hosts took the lead in the sixth minute.
Aaron Condon made a good run down the left and delivered a quality centre that Tom Richardson headed home at the far post in fine style.
The home side continued to press and were denied a second in the 20th minute when Glover produced a great save to tip Condon's dipping long range effort onto his bar.
Brightlingsea were awarded a penalty in the 33rd minute when Jay Eastoe-Smith was adjudged to have brought down Kelly and Condon drilled home the spot kick to increase the home side's lead.
You may also want to watch:
In added time Dereham won a corner on the left – Owen Murphy's centre was headed onto the post by Eastoe-Smith but Dion Frary netted the rebound to reduce the deficit.
Brightlingsea restored their two-goal advantage in the 60th minute; substitute Russell Malton's cross from the right sailed over keeper Glover's head and into the far corner of the net.
- 1 Mum's heartfelt tribute to daughter who died in A47 collision
- 2 Flight bound for Norwich turns back to Aberdeen
- 3 Work started on four new homes without permission
- 4 Murder investigation launched after body of man found in Norwich flat
- 5 Holt Hall for sale after years of uncertainty
- 6 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 7 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 8 Swathes of new homes for village move step closer with new planning bid
- 9 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 10 Farm worker fined after hay bales fall off trailer and hit car
The Magpies produced another chance with Myron Abodunde's cross from the right being headed off target by Joe Gatting.
However, the Rs nearly increased their lead when Condon's 20 yarder struck the underside of the bar. In the 85th minute Glover made a good save to keep out Billy Hunt's low drive.
Minutes later the Dereham keeper made another good stop from Rees' close range effort. On time Will Sainsbury-Logan fired into Sam Cowler's arms after combining well with Logan.
Brightlingsea Regent: S Cowler, R Giggs(R Malton 45th min), P Boyland(R Rees 63rd min),C Witherspoon, J Gould, M Cripps, G Doyle, J Turner, T Richardson(B Hunt 57th min),P Kelly, A Condon.
Subs not used: C Hogan, J Gould.
Dereham: J Glover, M Abodunde, D Morphew, R Linford(S Dodden 85th min),D Frary, J Eastoe-Smith),R Logan, A Smith(G Green 73rd min), J Gatting, O Murphy(W Sainsbury-Logan 57th min), R Crisp.
Subs all used.
Referee: Mr S Kilburn