Brigg Town 1, King’s Lynn Town 1

King's Lynn Town made their first journey to Brigg in North Lincolnshire yesterday – and returned home with a hard earned point thanks to Russell Dunkley's second half equaliser.

The home team were the first to attack when Paul Grimes got in a shot at goal which was comfortably saved by Danny Gay. When Lynn began to settle George Thomson tried a long range shot but Jamie Green covered well to make the save.

The first clear-cut chance fell for Brigg's Greg Archer, who got forward to take a neat lay-off from Grimes but Gay saved again.

However, the home team took the lead after 17 minutes following a long free-kick by Alex Flett. The ball was floated to the far post and Scott Hellewell met it at the far post with a header across the goal area for Grimes to knock it into the back of the net from close range.

Lynn responded by winning a free-kick outside the Brigg penalty area for a foul on Dunkley by Hellewell, Unfortunately for the visitors Thomson's free-kick across the face of the goal was too long and went out at the oppposite side of the pitch.

Continuing to put pressure on the Brigg defenders, Lynn threatened again down the right wing but the final ball carried too much pace and went across the face of the goal and out of play again.

With a minute remaining in the first half, Brigg created another good opening when Grimes won the ball close to the right corner flag and worked it across the penalty area for Liam Dickens, who got underneath it and struck his shot over the bar.

Most Read

Lynn introduced Stephen Spriggs at half-time and the team began to get more possession in midfield and were able to push Brigg back in defence.

However, the home team continued to look lively with sharp counter-attacking moves and Danny Buttle was able to deliver good penetrating crosses in from the left wing.

Sam Mulready and George Thomson both had clear chances to get on the scoresheet but missed out with weak shots past the upright. Then, midway though the second half, Lynn were reduced to 10 men when Ryan Fryatt was shown a red card for a strong challenge on Ryan Paczkowski.

However, the team showed great spirit to keep pushing forward and were rewarded with an equalising goal after 72 minutes when Thomson found space down the right wing to go past Hellewell and Buttle before crossing the ball into the crowded goal area for Dunkley to score from six yards out.

The game could have gone either way in the closing stages with Brigg going closest to winning it in the last minute after Liam Davis did well to get a cross into the penalty area for Grimes to send a firm header inches past the upright with Gay looking on.

The draw left King's Lynn without a win in five league games, something they will be looking to put right when they travel to Carlton Town on Saturday.

• Brigg: Green, Archer, Dudley, Flett, Hellewell, Fisher, Davis, Dickens, Paczkowski, Grimes, Buttle, Subs: Lee, Davies, Gee, Holden, Fenty

• King's Lynn: Gay, Watson, Yong, Fryatt, Gulliver, Bunting, Thomson, Quigley, Dunkley, Tolley, Mulready. Subs:Spriggs, Thurlbourne, White, Lee, Buhlemann

• Attendance: 185

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter