Brentwood 2 Dereham 4
A super display away at Brentwood Town saw the Magpies clinch their first ever win at step four of the non-league ladder.
The game started slowly and fans saw very few clear cut chances in the early stages and Dereham didn't register their first chance of the game until the 33rd minute when Luke Tuttle's effort rebounded off the post.
Then in the 42nd minute the Magpies took the lead in a game for the first time since being promoted.
Tuttle played the ball into the path of Sam Borrer who made his way into the box before squaring the ball to Nicky Howell who fired the ball into the net.
After 47 minutes Gary Starling then fired home a free kick to double Dereham's lead, putting them in a commanding position.
You may also want to watch:
However the hosts were not going to go down without putting up a fight and Petrit Elbi pulled a goal back after 52 minutes to make it 1-2, putting the pressure back on Dereham.
However just four minutes later goal machine Tuttle opened his account for the season to make it 1-3 to the Magpies – putting them in complete control – having crept round the back of the Brentwood defence to finish off a great cross.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 4 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 5 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 6 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 7 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 8 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 9 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 10 Man admits defrauding more than £1.3m from Norfolk firm
Then with 20 minutes to play Adam Gusterson sealed the win and made sure it was a good journey home for the Magpies.
Deep into stoppage time Elbi made it 2-4 but Dereham ran out comfortable winners and claimed a deserved win.
Dereham: Street, Hawkins (Willis 70), Starling (Eastoe-Smith 75), Borrer, Morphew, Gusterson, Howell, Smith, Bammant, Tuttle, Kay. Subs not used: Beaumont, Gilfedder.
Brentwood: Anderson, Love Rolls, Edgar, Simmonds (Matyanda 63), Bradley, Carvell Dobbs (Ryan 63), Elbi, Cass, Rees (Adebayo). Subs not used: Gardner, Cooper.