Breeze’s elation is replaced by despair

Carl Breeze suffered the extremes of ecstasy and agony at the weekend but returned to his King's Lynn home narrowly ahead in the race for the Ginetta GT Supercup Championship crown.

With the category's double 'drop score' ruling taken into consideration, where each competitor has to subtract their two worst scores from individual totals, Tom Sharp provisionally headed Breeze by three points as the series rolled into Rockingham Speedway.

Breeze stamped his authority on proceedings and claimed pole position for the opening race around the Corby speed bowl and made a decent start to the first race.

However, Nathan Freke made a lightning getaway and split the two front row starters, Breeze and George Murrells, into Turn One to snatch the lead.

Breeze followed Freke through the twisty infield section and got an excellent exit onto the main straight and towed himself past the leader and proceeded to set the race's fastest lap on his second tour to cement victory, his fourth of the season.

'We had some really unfortunate luck at the last round at Knockhill. I went from leading the championship to being behind so we knew we had to come here all guns blazing this weekend,' declared Breeze.

'Not only did we have to beat Tom Sharp and Adam Morgan, we also needed to try and stop the momentum that Nathan Freke has had in the last few rounds.'

Most Read

Race two was to feature pit stops for the first time with each competitor having to exchange a wheel and the chance that one small error could be costly – a misfortune which Breeze experienced.

Breeze started the Bluechip supported car from pole position but was again quickly passed by Freke and then squeezed down to fourth at turn one followed by a loss of two more places before the first lap had been completed.

Worse was to follow as, unbeknown to Breeze, a clash with Colin White damaged the air-hose connection, which lifts the car off the ground during the pit-stops, and when he made his mandatory stop he lost a huge amount of time.

Breeze returned to the track way behind his rivals but at least he still finished eighth in the G55 class which secured enough points for him to take a narrow, adjusted, lead to Brands Hatch in two weeks' time.

Luckily for Breeze his chief rival Sharp also didn't have a great deal of fortune in the pit stop race and only scored two more points than the Norfolk racer.

Fast starting Freke had to endure a car filling up with smoke during the race and he was fortunate to bring it home in third place which leaves him 30 points off the lead on adjusted scores with 185 points available in the final five races.

Matching Freke's haul of 56 points from the weekend was Morgan who is just four adrift of Breeze's adjusted total ensuring that the last five races will be hotly contested.