Brazil World Cup is social media sensation
- Credit: AP
Brazil 2014 is proving to be a social media sensation as 230 million people used the tournament's official hubs by the end of the group stage.
FIFA's Global Stadium has had enough visitors to fill the Maracana 3,000 times over since the World Cup began.
The tournament's official phone app has also become the biggest sports event app of all time, with 20 million downloads in 26 days. Fans have spent an average of 62 minutes using the app – equivalent to 2,000 years.
Facebook users' interest has also been piqued by the tournament, with 358 million users reached by FIFA content.
FIFA's Twitter account also saw its follower numbers rocket to 13.5 million with an average of 10 new followers a second on the opening match day.
You may also want to watch:
The official World Cup Instagram app saw its follower numbers go from 42,000 to 550,000 in a week.
Matt Stone, FIFA Head of Digital, said the tournament was becoming the 'mobile and social World Cup'.
- 1 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 2 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 3 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 4 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 5 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 6 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 7 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 8 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 9 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 10 Pretty thatched cafe on Broads up for sale for £75,000