Brave effort from Norwich City Ladies goes unrewarded

Action from Norwich City's narrow defeat at the hands of Old Loughtonians in the East Women's L:eagu

Action from Norwich City's narrow defeat at the hands of Old Loughtonians in the East Women's L:eague Premier Division. Picture: SIMON TASKER - Credit: Archant

Norwich City Ladies suffered late heartbreak in Saturday's East Premier match as Old Loughtonians came away with all three points.

The Essex side scored first but City equalised through captain Debbie Painter and then piled on the pressure in the second half.

Despite their best efforts the second goal wouldn't come however and Old Loughts made it 2-1 in the dying minutes, with City claiming the ball was struck from outside the D. City remain six points adrift at the bottom while Norwich Dragons are fifth after a 3-2 defeat at Cambridge University.

Dragons lost Lou Murray after just 38 seconds when she took a blow on the chin and found themselves 2-0 down at the break. The students added a third early in the second half, with Siobhan Cleeve also been forced into a number of superb saves, but Stacey Lee and Liv Leary then combined to pull one back before Tabba Tabrett scored from a penalty flick.

There was also disappointment for Dereham in Division One North as they suffered a second straight defeat.

They threw everything at St Ives but couldn't find the back of the net, resulting in a 1-0 defeat. Youngster Pip Howes stepped up and impressed in her first team debut while Livie Boyce gave another player-of-the-match performance in defence.

Harleston Magpies II bounced back from two narrow defeats by drawing 1-1 with Colchester. Alice Woollatt fired Magpies into a first half lead after being set up by sister Katie but the visitors equalised after the break.

Most Read

Dragons II suffered a painful 3-2 home defeat against Lowestoft, after being 2-0 up with just 10 minutes remaining.

The hosts went in front after the break when an Issy Wolfe injection allowed Gail Thomas and Hannah Hardy to combine well to force the ball past Kate Bond. Then a second short corner ended with Shelly Seaman deflecting the ball home after Karen O'Neill-Simpson and Nat Beal had set up the chance. But it all went wrong for Dragons as Lowestoft scored three late goals to take the points.

In Division Two North East Watton closed the gap on leaders UEA to just two points as they won 3-2 at Ipswich East Suffolk while the students were being held by visitors Ipswich II.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter