Braintree Town Reserves 5, Great Yarmouth Town 2
The Bloaters fell to their first defeat of the new season away to the reserve side of Blue Square Bet Premier side Braintree Town.
Bob Hepburn gave starts to Micael Adamo and Diogo Fernandes, their first of the season, in for Sam Giacomelli and Mitch Forbes respectively, while Josh Thomas regained his place in the starting lineup after missing the FA Cup replay at midweek.
The hosts took the lead on five minutes. Defender Lee Cudden rose highest from a throw to loop the ball over the leap of Yarmouth keeper Ben Cudden and in via the far post.
Yarmouth came close to equalising four minutes later as a corner from Callum Jones was whipped across the six yard box, just out of reach of Diogo Fernandes and Fernando Vide.
Moments later a mistake in the Braintree defence gave Callum Jones space in the area but he fired wide and a good piece of trickery gave Josh Thomas space to fire goal-wards, forcing a low save from host keeper Peter Haxell.
You may also want to watch:
Despite the pressure Braintree doubled their lead when Owen Kabodi threaded a ball through to Joel Appiah-Kubi who slotted his effort under keeper Ben Cudden.
Midway through the half Micael Adamo had a shot blocked after George Barnden's did well to find the defender following a free kick.
- 1 'Unauthorised' headstones ruin family's final wishes
- 2 New Lidl supermarket opens in Norwich
- 3 Neighbours sick of road turning into 'scene from Fast & Furious'
- 4 Hospital investigated over 'contentious' deaths goes bust owing £4m
- 5 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 6 Man was found dead after lockdown hit business, inquest told
- 7 Anti-vax protesters descend on Norwich pub demanding entry
- 8 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 9 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 10 Norwich City transfer rumours: Loan possibility remains for Skipp
Braintree made it three on half hour when a ball over the top sent Appiah-Kubi past the last defender but despite the best efforts of Ben Cudden, he couldn't prevent the striker from finding that yard needed to slot the ball past Cudden and into the net.
Yarmouth looked to get back into the game as George Barnden thread a ball through to Diogo Fernandes on the edge of the box and despite having limited space available, the striker was able to fire a shot that was deflected through to keeper Peter Haxell.
Appiah completed his hat-trick early in the second half as he rose highest to head in Karl Andrade's cross from within the six yard box.
Despite the defeat looking inevitable Yarmouth continued to push for a consolation, substitute Barney Lawrence beating his defender to head a free kick wide and latterly volleying a Johnny Jarvis cross over the bar.
Moments later a move involving five Bloaters players lead to Callum Jones setting up Danny Burkle to fire a grass-cutter from the edge of the box that Braintree keeper Peter Haxell had to stretch to turn round the post.
But Braintree got the fifth as substitute Burnett-Williams rolled the ball across to Jake Turner who drilled his shot past the reach of keeper Cudden and into the bottom corner.
To their credit the Bloaters continued to push for a goal of their own and their reward came 12 minutes from time as Joe Bryanton's free kick was deflected through to Callum Jones who instinctively tapped the ball into the net from two yards out.
One became two as Braintree failed to deal with continued Yarmouth pressure on the edge of their own box as Johnny Jarvis's shot was deflected into the path of fellow substitute Marian Jobbagy who calmly side footed his effort past keeper Peter Haxell as if he wasn't there.
• Braintree Res XI: Peter Haxell, Ben Barnsley, Dean Gilder, Simon Eastaugh, Lee Cudden, Kevin Plange-Tabil (Jack Cawley 75), Adam Hampson, Owen Kabodi, Jake Turner, Joel Appiah-Kubi (Daniel Burnett-Williams 66), Karl Andrade (Andrew Hughes 61)
Goals: Cudden 5, Appiah-Kubi 15, 29, 53, Turner 72
Sent off: Barnsley 86
• Yarmouth XI: Ben Cudden, Jordan Forbes, Joe Bryanton, Micael Adamo, Sim Lee (Johnny Jarvis 46), Danny Burkle, Josh Thomas (Marian Jobbagy 64), Callum Jones, Diogo Fernandes (Barney Lawrence 53), George Barnden, Fernando Vide
Goals: Jones 78, Jobaggy 88