Borrer blasts Dereham to victory over Wisbech

Dereham secured a crucial 1-0 win at fellow high-flyers Wisbech in the Premier Division on Saturday.

The Magpies' cup commitments have seen them slip behind the division's frontrunners, but victory at the Fenland Stadium keeps them firmly in the title picture.

The decisive goal arrived early in the game following a fourth minute corner. Aaron Kay delivered the ball into the area, where Shaun Bammant laid it back to Sam Borrer and he lifted a shot into the roof of the net to put the visitors in front.

Dereham continued to press and Bammant, Borrer and Kay all went close to extending the lead.

The Fenmen raised their game after the break and Magpies keeper Andy Wilton was forced into an excellent save to keep out Chris Bacon's header.

Bacon and fellow striker Dubi Ogbonna both missed good opportunities to equalise, before Ryan Hawkins fired over the bar for Dereham in injury time.

Dereham remain fifth in the table, but are now just three points point second-placed Wisbech with three games in hand.

Most Read

Leaders Mildenhall – who have also played three more games than Dereham – remain three points ahead of Wisbech after their match at Gorleston was postponed.

Thetford Town were beaten 6-3 at third-placed Brantham Athletic.

The hosts took the lead on 23 minutes and doubled their advantage six minutes later.

Town pulled a goal back five minutes into the second half when Tom Dew fired home from 18 yards. Brantham responded with a three-goal salvo in the space of seven minutes to make it 5-1, before Thetford reduced the arrears as John Curtis glanced the ball past the home keeper.

Brantham scored a sixth, Ryan Skipper netted Thetford's third and Brantham also missed a penalty near the end.

Diss Town registered their first league win under new boss Richard Daniels, pictured, winning 4-1 at CRC.

The Tangerines raced into a 4-0 lead inside 25 minutes. Peter Lambert opened the scoring with his first goal for the club and Matt Dixon rounded the keeper to make it two. Dixon was then fouled in the area and Stuart Garner scored from the spot, before Lambert scored again with a low shot from the edge of the area.

CRC pulled one back in the second half, but the result sees them replace Diss in the bottom three.

Kirkley & Pakefield ended their six-match winless run with a 1-0 victory at bottom side FC Clacton.

Scott Woodcock scored the only goal of the game.

Norwich United picked up only their second victory in their last 10 league games as they won 2-0 at Godmanchester.

Andrew Fulcher and Jon Lovelock were on target for the Planters.

There were also wins for Walsham-le-Willows and Ely City, while Hadleigh drew 1-1 at home to Stanway Rovers.

The match between Haverhill and Woodbridge was another victim of the weather.

In the First Division, there was a derby success for Fakenham as they beat manager-less Downham 2-0 at Clipbush Park.

Matthew Gilchrist and Kyle Plumb were the Ghosts' goalscorers against Downham, who last week accepted the resignation of manager Garth Good.

Rory Harper gave Swaffham a third minute lead against Newmarket which they held until five minutes from the end – before the Jockeys scored twice to secure a 2-1 win.

Great Yarmouth's game at home to Brightlingsea Regent was postponed.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter