Bob Carter win all-Norfolk national final
SHORT MAT: It was an all Norfolk showdown in this year's National Club Championships as Bob Carter and Wymondham met in the final at Kempston IBC in Bedfordshire.
The Norfolk teams were in separate groups with Bob Carter facing defending champions Doddington of Cambs, Kent side Burham and Templecombe of Somerset.
Wymondham's group opposition was Chanctonbury of West Sussex, Hazelbury Bryan of Dorset and Middlezoy of Somerset.
Both Norfolk quickly established themselves as favourites to reach the final – where they faced each other. Wymondham captain Chris Mann had a notable 12-9 win against Trevor Brown to give Wymondham a super start in the singles. A close 5-3 rinks win for Jack Barrett, Mark Linsdell, Debbie Phillips and Andrew Stratton against Jason Woods, George Clarke, David Lamb and Melvin Woods put Wymondham 4-0 up on points. Carter hit back with a 13-7 pairs win for Trevor Brown and Nigel Willard against Mikey George and Chris Mann. The triples also went Carter's way as John Turner, David Lamb and Melvin Woods beat Mark Linsdell, Debbie Phillips and Andrew Stratton 7-4. With the points tied at 4-4 Bob Carter's total shots of 32 against Wymondham's 28 earned the bonus point that made them National Club Champions.
Bob Carter are through to the Norfolk Summer Cup semi-finals after a 6-2 win at Kirby Bedon B. Thurton earned their semi-final place by just two shots after their visit to Diss ended at 4-4. Hevingham won their quarter-final tie 6-2 at home to Hingham Green. In the semi-finals Hevingham have been drawn at home to Bob Carter in an all Division One clash while Kirby Bedon A entertain Division Two side Thurton.
You may also want to watch:
In Division One leaders Bob Carter drew 4-4 at Hevingham after winning both second half games to remain undefeated.
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 3 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 4 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 5 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 6 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 7 Deputy lieutenant of Norfolk sells beloved thatched Broads home
- 8 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 9 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal
- 10 Jail for 'Jekyll and Hyde' builder who made customer 'fear for her life'