Bob Carter win all-Norfolk national final
SHORT MAT: It was an all Norfolk showdown in this year's National Club Championships as Bob Carter and Wymondham met in the final at Kempston IBC in Bedfordshire.
The Norfolk teams were in separate groups with Bob Carter facing defending champions Doddington of Cambs, Kent side Burham and Templecombe of Somerset.
Wymondham's group opposition was Chanctonbury of West Sussex, Hazelbury Bryan of Dorset and Middlezoy of Somerset.
Both Norfolk quickly established themselves as favourites to reach the final – where they faced each other. Wymondham captain Chris Mann had a notable 12-9 win against Trevor Brown to give Wymondham a super start in the singles. A close 5-3 rinks win for Jack Barrett, Mark Linsdell, Debbie Phillips and Andrew Stratton against Jason Woods, George Clarke, David Lamb and Melvin Woods put Wymondham 4-0 up on points. Carter hit back with a 13-7 pairs win for Trevor Brown and Nigel Willard against Mikey George and Chris Mann. The triples also went Carter's way as John Turner, David Lamb and Melvin Woods beat Mark Linsdell, Debbie Phillips and Andrew Stratton 7-4. With the points tied at 4-4 Bob Carter's total shots of 32 against Wymondham's 28 earned the bonus point that made them National Club Champions.
Bob Carter are through to the Norfolk Summer Cup semi-finals after a 6-2 win at Kirby Bedon B. Thurton earned their semi-final place by just two shots after their visit to Diss ended at 4-4. Hevingham won their quarter-final tie 6-2 at home to Hingham Green. In the semi-finals Hevingham have been drawn at home to Bob Carter in an all Division One clash while Kirby Bedon A entertain Division Two side Thurton.
You may also want to watch:
In Division One leaders Bob Carter drew 4-4 at Hevingham after winning both second half games to remain undefeated.
- 1 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 2 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 3 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 4 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 5 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 6 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
- 7 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 8 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 9 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 10 Two Norfolk care homes among the best in region