Blues suffer narrow defeat at hands of pacesetters

Vanarama National League North action between Lowestoft Town and Nuneaton Town. Danny Crow

Vanarama National League North action between Lowestoft Town and Nuneaton Town. Danny Crow - Credit: Nick Butcher

Lowestoft Town 0 Nuneaton 1

Lowestoft Town and Nuneaton Town produced an absorbing contest on a very wet Crown Meadow, with the visitors maintaining their 100pc start to the National League North campaign with the only goal of the game just on the hour mark.

With both Lowestoft's recognised central defenders out injured there was a makeshift pairing of Jack Ainsley and Rossi Jarvis at the back, with Andrew Fisk returning in his customary midfield role, writes Terry Lynes.

Thankfully the rain had ceased as the game started and both sides soon made their intentions clear by passing the ball around accurately on the deck but in general matters petered out once they reached the penalty area.

There was an early chance for Jake Reed as he went past a couple of defenders before being tackled as he was about to shoot. Danny Crow then picked out Ryan Jarvis whose fierce low shot was parried by Jordan Smith in the visitors' goal.

You may also want to watch:

Nuneaton's first real threat saw Shane Byrne cross from the right but Ainsley's diving headed clearance fell to former professional Marlon Harewood whose snap volley from 20 yards flashed wide.

An Adam Smith corner led to a spot of head tennis before the ball eventually went out for another corner which proved fruitless.

Most Read

Chris Henderson was looking very lively all over the park and his cross from the left was met by a downward header from Ryan Jarvis which went inches the wrong side of the post.

Nuneaton too were close to taking the lead with a 30 yard screamer from Callum Chettle which flashed just wide of the mark.

The visitors should have gone in front straight from the start of the second period with a rare Ainsley slip allowing Aaron Williams a clear run at goal but Jake Jessup did well to push away his shot.

Although clear chances were at a premium both sides were willing to have a go from distance and Crow was not far off target from 30 yards.

Lowestoft were given a scare as a low cross from the right by David Morgan flashed across the face of the goal with no one able to take advantage.

However the Blues failed to take heed and a similar move in the 59th minute saw Williams sliding in to turn the ball into the net.

Lowestoft worked hard to get back on terms but the resolute Nuneaton defence were giving nothing away.

After an excellent move down the right Ryan Jarvis released the overlapping Harry Barker but his cross to the far post saw Henderson's header hitting the side netting. Reed was a his usual non-stop self and he deserved more than to see his shot fly inches wide of the target after working his way past two defenders and the final chance was lost.

Despite a second successive defeat after two wins there were plenty of positives from the performance, with little to choose between the two teams and Nuneaton showing why they are many pundits' favourites for a quick return to the top flight.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus