Blues put the record straight in Vase

Lowestoft Town bounced back from their league humiliation the weekend before to book their place in the fourth round of the FA Vase with a 4-2 win at home to Rye United.

Lowestoft Town bounced back from their league humiliation the weekend before to book their place in the fourth round of the FA Vase with a 4-2 win at home to Rye United.

The Blues lost 7-0 at Mildenhall in their previous game, but a battling display saw them fight back from a goal down to seal victory - and a £1,200 cheque in prize money.

The Sussex County League side took the lead on three minutes at a drenched Crown Meadow, as Marcus Saunders' attempted clearance ricocheted off Neil Plaskett and into the net.

Town re-organised at half-time and the changes paid off immediately as Bradley Hough poked the ball home on 46 minutes following Ross King's inswinging corner.

Two minutes later, Lowestoft were in front as Gary McGee found Russell Stock and he applied the finish.

Rye then lost their skipper, Marc Gall, when he received a second yellow card after a rash challenge on Lowestoft's Matt Potter sparked a skirmish between the players.

Most Read

The Blues took advantage of their extra man and grabbed a third after 63 minutes when Richard Woodrow's fine pass sent McGee clear and when his shot cannoned back off a post, Stock tapped the ball into an empty net.

Rye refused to give up and scored their second slightly bizarre goal of the afternoon when Potter's intended clearance held up in the swirling wind and presented Chris Gould with the chance to make it 3-2, which he duly accepted.

Substitute Jamie Godbold made sure of Lowestoft's place in the last 32 when he raced clear in injury time to slot home.

In the Ridgeons League Premier Division, Norwich United were denied an impressive victory over King's Lynn Reserves by a floodlight failure at Plantation Park.

The Planters led 3-0 when the lights went out and despite frantic attempts to restore power, the game was abandoned.

Francis Kumbur had put Norwich ahead on 28 minutes and the same player doubled the advantage three minutes before half-time.

Jody Cork made it 3-0 with a header from a corner on 52 minutes, but almost immediately afterwards the lights failed and the match will now be replayed on Saturday, February 9.

It was a similar story for Swaffham Town, as their match at Felixstowe & Walton was abandoned after 43 minutes due to floodlight failure, with the score at 0-0.

The only Premier Division match to be completed saw Wisbech fall to a 1-0 defeat at Leiston.

It was a brighter picture in Division One, where five games were completed.

Gorleston enjoyed their trip to lowly Cornard, coming away with a 7-0 victory.

Skipper Eddie Thompson put the Greens ahead on 18 minutes and further strikes from Lee Hunter, Peter Lambert and Ricci Butler made it 4-0 at half-time.

The goals continued to flow in the second period as Hunter scored two more and Thompson grabbed his second.

Downham Town slipped further behind leaders Tiptree as they were held to a 2-2 draw by Great Yarmouth.

Downham took the lead two minutes into the second half but Yarmouth drew level through Nick Crawley on 63 minutes.

Crawley made it 2-1 to the Bloaters with 15 minutes remaining, but Downham bundled home an equaliser in injury time to take a point.

Diss lost 2-1 at home to Godmanchester. The hosts were gifted an early lead when Ben Deacon's low cross deflected off Stephen Hurst for an own goal, but Godmanchester equalised on 33 minutes and hit the winner five minutes into the second half.

Tiptree moved eight points clear at the top with a 1-0 win at home to Saffron Walden.