Blues go through in Vase

Lowestoft booked their place in the third round of the FA Vase with a 1-0 win over Northamptonshire side Desborough at Crown Meadow on Saturday.

Lowestoft booked their place in the third round of the FA Vase with a 1-0 win over Northamptonshire side Desborough at Crown Meadow on Saturday.

The visitors started well and were denied a goal on 22 minutes when Michael Burne's agile effort was ruled out for offside. That scare sparked the Blues into life and Ross King went close with a powerful free-kick.

The winning goal came on 53 minutes, when Bradley Hough escaped down the right and his low cross was deflected into his own net by Desborough's David Donativo.

Lowestoft keeper Adam Rix twice preserved the lead when confronted with one-on-one situations and the Blues held on to reach the next stage.

Managerless Wroxham bowed out of the competition, losing 2-1 at Ridgeons League rivals Mildenhall.

Following player-manager Damian Hilton's resignation in midweek - he played for the reserves on Saturday - Wroxham faced a Mildenhall side whose own boss, Trevor Munns, was taking charge of the team for the last time.

Most Read

But it was the hosts who coped better with the managerial upheaval, going ahead on five minutes when Robert Woodcock palmed a Matt Robinson shot into the net.

The Yachtsmen responded with an equaliser five minutes before half-time, Danny White converting Andy Key's cross.

Key almost put Wroxham ahead soon after the break when he beat the keeper and shot towards an empty net, but a covering defender scrambled the ball clear.

Mildenhall grabbed the winner six minutes from time, Ben Flack firing through a crowd of players to beat Woodcock.

Wroxham's caretaker-manager Graham Challen said: “I cannot fault any of the squad. I felt the least we deserved was to get them back to Wroxham for a replay but that is cup football.”

With the top three in the Ridgeons League, Premier Division in FA Vase action, fourth-placed Dereham clawed back some ground with a 2-1 league win at home to Haverhill.

The Magpies received the Ridegons Team of the Month award for October before kick-off and they took the lead late in the first half when Robbie Harris netted from 20 yards.

They had to wait until the 75th minute to double their advantage, as Graham Barrett headed home from Craig Terrington's cross.

Kirkley & Pakefield let their lead slip in the last three minutes as they were beaten 2-1 at Harwich.

The visitors went in front on 26 minutes when Jordan Blyth released Nathan Stone and he finished calmly.

Harwich levelled on 87 minutes when centre-back Martin Calver side-footed home via a slight deflection. And it got worse for Kirkley as, in injury time, goal hero Stone turned villain when he fouled an opponent in the box and Calver scored from the spot.

Norwich United moved up two places with a 2-0 win at home to Felixstowe.

Hayton put the Planters in front with a headed goal on 15 minutes and new signing Kumber Francis completed the scoring seven minutes before half-time, turning the ball home after Hayton's header was spilled.

King's Lynn Reserves strengthened their grip on fifth position with a 3-0 win at home to Walsham-le-Willows.

The hosts went in front when the visitors' keeper scooped the ball into his own net and further goals from Joe Woods and Steve Spriggs completed the victory.

Wisbech crashed to a 5-1 home defeat against CRC, Stuart Ablett netting the Fenmen's goal.

In Division One, Gorleston picked up an impressive 3-1 win at home to leaders Tiptree.

Lee Hunter put the Greens in front on 40 minutes, but they could not hold the lead going into the break, as Tiptree's Tom English levelled from the penalty spot in injury-time.

It did not take Gorleston long to restore their advantage after the interval as Eddie Thompson reacted quickly to score after Dale Cockrill's free-kick had thudded against a post. Hunter then wrapped up the points with 20 minutes left, racing clear before chipping the keeper.

Downham took advantage of Tiptree's slip to draw level at the top following their 3-2 win at Godmanchester.

Bottom of the table Fakenham could not add to their tally of two points this season, falling to a 2-1 defeat at Saffron Walden.