Blofield, Dereham and Planters through in Senior Cup

In the Norfolk Senior Cup fourth round Ridgeons Premier Division leaders Dereham Town beat Gorleston from the division below 2-0.

The Magpies scored twice in the second period after an even first half –Nicky Howell with a left-foot shot from outside the area and sub Kenny Reeves netting after rounding the keeper.

Dereham manager Matt Henman said: 'The first half was a little bit scrappy but fairly even. I was quite impressed with the way Gorleston passed the ball and they were difficult to break down.

'In the second half Gorleston had two good chances before we scored, but once we scored we took control.

'The important thing was the result. We were just pleased to get through – it has been three weeks since we played because of the weather.'

You may also want to watch:

Dereham will now play Blofield in the quarter-final who were 2-1 winners over Anglian Combination Premier Division rivals St Andrews. Lee Skoyles and Daniel McKail scored for Blofield and Alex Taylor for St Andrews.

The game between Norwich St Johns and Diss Town was postponed.

Most Read

Ridgeons Premier team Norwich United made heavy weather of beating Anglian Combination side North Walsham 2-1 with Justin Fox's winner coming just two minutes from the end of extra time.

Will Abbs fired wide from a Anthony Davies cross in an early attack.

Andrew Claydon then fired over on the turn from an Andy Key cross. Fox then had a shot into the bottom corner turned wide by Angels keeper Peter Murphy.

Planters' keeper Ben Nower saved from Daniel Tindall. Claydon was again denied by Murphy after a good move started by Darren Coe.

United were cruelly denied an opening goal when Lee Hunter's quick free-kick deceived Murphy and went in off a post only for referee Neil Jacques to order the kick be retaken and Fox's kick was saved by Murphy.

The Planters finally took the lead in the 70th minute, Claydon won an important header, Fox played a good ball into sub Tom Jeal, who hit the ball hard into the net at the near post.

Fox shot wide from 35 yards and Hunter could have sealed the tie when Paul Atkins set him clear, but Murphy blocked his shot.

The Angels levelled the tie in the 86th minute, a free-kick was headed goalward and Nower had to save only for Marsh to head home the rebound.

In injury time Fox had a strong run from midfield but chipped over from outside the area and the game went into extra time.

Shipley headed wide, then strong appeals for a Planters penalty were turned down when Claydon was brought down in the area.

The Planters avoided the lottery of penalties in the 108th minute when after strong pressure Claydon's shot was blocked and the ball fell to Fox who netted from 15 yards.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter