Bloaters push leaders to the limit

Great Yarmouth 3, Cambridge U Press 4

A goal in the second minute of stoppage time denied the Bloaters a chance to end Cambridge University Press' 100per cent start to the new campaign.

A spectacular 25-yard dipping volley from captain Callum Jones got Yarmouth off the mark on 17 minutes after Mitch Forbes had a penalty saved, writes REBECCA ABBOTT.

Two quick goals at the start of the second half from Lee Clift and Lewis Whitehead gave the visitors the lead before Iain Mills equalised with a half-volley from a corner.

Cambridge retook the lead through Clift's second with 10 minutes remaining before Charlie McAra headed in an instant equaliser.

But it wasn't to be Yarmouth's day as Sabey's corner directed at the far post deceived both defenders and keeper, looping into the top corner of the net.

Iain Mills and Charlie McAra made returns to a Mike Derbyshire's side that also included Ben Cudden who sat out of the midweek match at home to Team Bury.

Most Read

A reshuffle saw Johnny Jarvis and Shaun MacLeod both start in opposite full back positions in place of George Barnden and Danny Scriven, with Danny Burkle and Joe Bryanton moved to midfield.

The first chance for both teams fell to Yarmouth on 15 minutes as Callum Jones was unceremoniously brought to the ground by Cambridge keeper Phil Peachey just inside the box after latching on to Mitch Forbes flick on. Despite having minimal defensive cover Peachey escaped with a yellow card.

Forbes placed the ball on the spot but his well-struck effort was saved by the dive of Peachey and cleared away.

Yarmouth did take the lead two minutes later with a goal-of-the-season contender. A throw was flicked onto Callum Jones who, after chesting the ball down, hit a right-footed volley from all of 25 yards. The visiting keeper was worried — and rightly so. The helpless Peachey backpedalled towards his own line and flapped his right paw at thin air as the effort dipped under the crossbar.

A re-energised Cambridge got an equaliser five minutes into the second half. Lee Clift lost his marker to head a corner in at the far post.

Their next attack gave the visitors the lead; a through ball sent Lewis Whitehead past the last defender and from a tight angle the striker sidefooted the ball past the sliding block of the backtracking Simeon Lee.

Yarmouth's equaliser 21 minutes from time came from another spark of brilliance. Charlie McAra's corner to the edge of the box fell to Iain Mills who — running away from goal — managed to fire a powerful half-volley that flew past Peachey and into the net before the Cambridge keeper could react. A great strike to mark the defender's first goal of the season.

The hosts could have retaken the lead just minutes later as a good move allowed Fernando Vide to feed in George Barnden in the box but the substitute, falling backwards, scooped his effort over the bar from 12 yards.

Instead Clift gave the visitors the lead as he was gifted a free header to plant Jamie Hampshire's free kick into the net.

But the Bloaters struck back instantly, Fernando Vide floating an inch perfect cross for Charlie McAra to header into the net.

Cue a frantic last eight minutes as both teams pushed for the winner. Cambridge has a header cleared off the line following a corner while seconds later substitute Danny Scriven was inches away from finding the bottom corner from the edge of the box.

But Sabey's late winner denied Yarmouth the draw in a performance they could claim was enough to warrant a point.

Yarmouth: Ben Cudden, Johnny Jarvis, Shaun MacLeod (George Barnden 62), Callum Jones, Iain Mills, Simeon Lee (Danny Scriven 74), Joe Bryanton (Josh Thomas 86), Danny Burkle, Mitch Forbes, Charlie McAra, Fernando Vide.

Goals: Jones 16, Mills 69, McAra 82.

Yarmouth Town entertain Stowamarket tomorrow (3). The Reserves host Dereham on Tuesday (7.45).