Bloaters are denied at the death by Wivenhoe

Troubled Great Yarmouth Town were heartbreakingly denied a second league victory of the season as their two-goal lead vanished in the final stages of the 2-2 draw at home to Wivenhoe.

The Bloaters, who are due to hold an EGM tomorrow to determine the future direction of the club, took the lead after just three minutes through George Barnden. Charlie McAra then doubled the advantage just before the hour mark and the hosts looked set for a rare success.

But on 89 minutes, Ben Connell fired in from close range and the same player then struck the equaliser in injury time.

Inconsistency continues to haunt Dereham Town, who were beaten 2-0 at FC Clacton.

The Essex side, beaten 5-1 by Stanway in their previous game, forced a number of good saves from Dereham keeper Shaun Marshall in a goalless first half.

Seven minutes into the second half, Clacton went ahead when Aaron Condon chipped Marshall from 25 yards.

Dereham pushed hard for an equaliser and in stoppage time Olly Willis fired a golden chance over the bar. But their fate was sealed when Jay Eastoe-Smith received a red card for bringing down Lee Barrett in the area and Sean Hillier smashed the spot kick into the net.

Most Read

Wisbech slumped to a surprise 4-2 defeat at Kirkley & Pakefield after surrendering a two-goal lead.

Nick Davey seized on a cutback from Chris Bacon to put Wisbech ahead and in the second half Jon Fairweather headed home from a corner to double the advantage.

Bacon hit the crossbar, before Kirkley & Pakefield responded with goals from Kyle Baker, Joe Bell, Ben Hebditch and Russell Stock to win the game.

Norwich United moved above Wisbech into fourth despite being denied victory at home to Hadleigh by a late penalty.

The hosts controlled proceedings and Carl Poppy hit the post before Steve Shipley had an effort cleared off the line.

Leading scorer Thomas Mustapha put the Planters in front on 79 minutes as he stepped inside a challenge before firing past Hadleigh keeper Daniel Heath. But three minutes from time the referee awarded a hotly disputed penalty and Jack Cawley converted from the spot.

In the First Division, Swaffham were beaten 3-2 at Ipswich Wanderers, despite the hosts having their goalkeeper sent off for handling outside the box on 24 minutes.

Wanderers then took the lead, but Joe Jackson equalised on 56 minutes. The hosts scored twice more before Jackson bagged his second in injury time.

Fakenham recorded back-to-back victories for the first time in the league this season as Sam Garner scored the winner in a 2-1 victory at home to Team Bury.