Blake hits winner as Norwich United see off Wisbech in FA Cup
Matt Blake got the only goal to secure Norwich United's passage into the second qualifying round of the FA Cup against Wisbech Town.
The former Wroxham man continued his fine start to the season with the only goal of the game and whilst the Planters were forced to defend for spells, they go deservedly into the hat for today's draw.
In the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division Gorleston got back to winning ways with a fine 4-1 win over Brantham Athletic. After last week's 3-0 defeat to Mildenhall Bradley Hough put the Greens in front in the fourth minute before Keegan Middleton doubled their lead. Richard Daniels' men then had to withstand a period of pressure from the visitors but managed to go in at the break two goals to the good.
Brantham deservedly pulled one back in the 74th minute through Shaun Webb but Middleton then got his second of the afternoon to settle any nerves. Brantham flooded forward in search of a way back into the game but Gorleston got a fourth late on through Ali McKenna to put a gloss on the scoreline that was harsh on the visitors.
Thetford Town continued their fine start to the season with an impressive 3-1 win at Ely City. The Brecklanders moved up to seventh in the table thanks to goals from Sam Bryant, Halen Smith and Ryan Skipp as Mark Scott's men made it four wins out of five in the league so far this season, Diss Town's woes continued with a 5-1 defeat at FC Clacton – Matt Dixon's late penalty proving to be the only consolation for the Tangerines. Fakenham were also on the end of a heavy defeat as they lost 4-0 at home to Godmanchester. Kirkley & Pakefield lost out away from home to Stanway, 2-1.
In the First Division Great Yarmouth registered an impressive 2-0 win over high-flying Stowmarket. Gareth Palmer got the Bloaters off to the perfect start in the sixth minute when he got on the end of Matthew Anderson's cross to head home. Connor Deeks made sure of the points on the hour mark with a thunderous 20-yard strike to make it two wins in a row for Ricci Butler's side.
Swaffham are up to sixth in the table thanks to a 2-1 win over AFC Sudbury Reserves. After falling behind early on Isaac Linford levelled matters with a cool finish and completed the comeback in the second half with his second goal of the season.
- 1 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 2 Hermes courier and his wife could be jailed over ‘stolen parcels’
- 3 Obituary: Tributes after 'heart-shaped hole' is left following teaching assistant's death
- 4 How Norfolk's current Covid figures compare to November 2020 lockdown
- 5 Winter Wonderland coming to park with ice slide, donkeys and reindeer
- 6 Panoramic views for every customer after award-winning restaurant's refurb
- 7 Christmas lights switch-on cancelled due to forecasted high winds
- 8 Norfolk boxer fined for exercising in Chapelfield Gardens during lockdown
- 9 Freezing cold temperatures could see snow in parts of Norfolk this weekend
- 10 Primary pupil sexually assaulted on way to school
King's Lynn Town Reserves hammered five past their Braintree counterparts without replay. Ben Coe notched a hat-trick with Alan Burch and Jake Clitheroe also getting their names on the scoresheet.
Dereham Town Reserves drew 1-1 with Cornard thanks to Liam Upton's goal while Downham Town shared six goals in a 3-3 draw at Team Bury.