Bishop's Stortford 3, King's Lynn 5

FA Cup: Bishop's Stortford 3, King's Lynn 5: King's Lynn caretaker boss Shaun Carey took his side into the next round of the FA Cup with a 5-3 victory over Bishop's Stortford.

FA Cup: Bishops Stortford 3 Kings Lynn 5

Half the 1800-strong crowd were the Linnets' travelling army of fans as the Norfolk side battles to win a place in the next round of the FA Cup.

The Linnets were making their 18th venture at this stage of the FA Cup competition. With their first visit to Bishop Stortford's new ground at Woodside Park success would see them in the second round proper for the eighth time. It would be the first occasion that the two clubs had met in an FA competition.

A battle royal was in prospect as Lynn faced a side unbeaten at home while they themselves had yet to be defeated “on the road”.

The visitors would certainly not lack support as 400 plus had made the relatively short trip to Hertfordshire.

The Lynn team news was that they would make one enforced change from the side that defeated Leyton in last week's FA trophy tie - the final game in which Tommy Taylor had been in charge before his sudden move to Peterborough.

Most Read

Stephen Melton was cup tied so the new caretaker management duo of Shaun Carey and Dean West brought back Jack Defty into the number seven shirt with West and Smith both returning to the starting line-up from injuries to fill the full back's berth, whilst Alex Notman also returned from injury to play up front.

On the bench were Charlie Defty, Matt Nolan, Rob Norris and young Sam Gauhran. Goalkeeper John Higgs.

Prior to the kick off a minutes silence was held for Remembrance Day. The first action from Lynn saw Notman try to set up a Lynn attack but his effort was unsuccessful. Howell tried a long shot for Bishop's Stortford but Marshall was well positioned to take the effort. On eight minutes Smith found Jake Defty who laid the ball off to Notman whose powerful shot was only just wide. Stortford attempted a quick break on their left but Camm was alert and snuffed out the danger. After a foul on Frew, Notman attempted a “curler” from the free kick but his effort was charged down. An error by McMahon let in Morgan for a strong shot which was only inches wide. Lynn counterattacked and O'Halorahn crossed to the back post was headed back across goal by Frew but Notman was unable to find a finish as he was crowded out. At this stage Lynn were certainly not overawed by their higher league opponents and were taking the game to the Conference side. Cooper had a good shot blocked after receiving from Jack Defty and then the Bishop's Stortford number five was cautioned for a foul. A minute later referee Tomlinson had no hesitation in awarding a penalty kick to Lynn after Defty was brought down.

The kick was entrusted to skipper Mark Warren but goalkeeper Wright dived to his right to save the kick this after 19 minutes. Bishop's Stortford responded with a spell of pressure but the Lynn defence coped well. On 24 minutes Lynn set up another flowing move but with Camm and Notman. However, the Scotsman lifted his final effort well over the cross bar. As Lynn refused to let the spot kick miss get them down. On 26 minutes Stambrook conceded another free kick from which Adam Smith fired a fierce shot through the awl to give a Lynn a deserved lead. Four minutes later Cooper received a caution as he brought down Howell but the free kick came to nothing. Lynn forced the first corner of the game after 30 minutes but Smiths kick eluded everyone. From the restart, Midson tried to run at the Lynn defence but was stopped by a fine tackle from West. On 36 minutes Bishop's Stortford levelled with a scrappy goal after a free kick conceded by Warren. Centre forward Essandoh force the ball in from close range after Weston Marshall failed to deal with the kick.

Lynn immediately forced another corner from which Warren shaved the bar with a header. Bishop's Stortford then took the lead on 40 minutes through a fine shot from Morgan after Essandoh had won the ball from a free kick. A minute later Morgan forced Marshall into a fine save low to his right. Porter was then cautioned for the home side for decent. In stoppage time the goal scorer Morgan cornered a free kick from which Adam Smith curled in a replica of his first effort to level the scores. Wright being partly at fault this time.

Half time in this pulsating cup tie. Bishop's Stortford 2, King's Lynn 2

The second half began with a lengthy stoppage for an injury to Marshall but the goal keeper was able to carry on after treatment. Lynn's first attack of the half saw Defty find Notman with a fine cross field ball.

He cut in but once again his shot was too high. Morgan for Bishop Stortford was then cautioned for a foul on Cooper, the home side forced a corner which was cleared with difficulty as Bishops now had the strong wind in their favour.

Lynn took the lead on 56 minutes when Defty played a fine through ball to Frew who outpaced the defence but home goal keeper Wright made an awful mistake to allow Frew's shot to pass under his body. Frew then tried an ambitious shot from 45 yards which found Wright off his line but it narrowly wide.

Bishops responded with a corner which Marshall held under pressure, Lynn went away to score again on 62 minutes when superb vision and passing abilities from Notman played in Frew who showed great composure to easily beat Wright from 12 yards. Bishops were not taking this lying down and from a wind-assisted effort from Collis showed Marshall at his best as he turned the effort over the bar.

Lynn returned to the attack and Jack Defty showed invention to create a space for Frew to shoot powerfully which was blocked then the big man worked himself a chance but fired just over as Lynn showing total commitment continued to press.

Bishops thought they had reduced the margin through Essandoh but the visitors were reprieved by an offside flag.

Lynn returned to the attack and went further ahead on 71 minutes when more superb work by Frew gave O'Halloran a great chance which the winger gleefully accepted.

On 83 minutes Bishops made a double substitution throwing on attackers in place of defenders in an effort to retrieve the tie.

They pulled a goal back when Martin lobbed Marshall seconds after the goal keeper had made a fine save from Morgan.

At this stage Bishops were wholly committed to attack and were throwing everything at the Linnets defence.

Lynn brought on Charlie Defty for O'Halloran as an extra defender when Warren brought down Morgan to receive a caution.

Collis took the kick but his fierce drive curled wide. As stoppage time approached a cross from the left wing gave a chance to substitute Innocent whose shot produced a fine save from Marshall. Then Smith made a fine tackle to stop Midson as he broke from midfield.

Lynn brought on Norris for Notman to use up valuable seconds as they ran down the clock to achieve a famous victory and take their place in Sunday's second round draw.

Final score: Bishops Stortford 3 Kings Lynn 5

Attendance: 1715.

King's Lynn: Marshall, West, Smith, Warren, Cooper, Camm, J Defty, McMahon, Frew, Notman, O'Halloran. Subs: Nolan, C Defty, Norris, Gauhran, Higgs.

Bishop Stortford: Wright, Collis, Gwillim, Porter, Stambrook, Gillman, Howell, Morgan, Essandoh, Midson, Martin. Subs: Innocent, Mason, Stewart, Lockett, Young.

Referee: Steve Tomlinson.