Big triumph brings smiles back at Diss

Acton from Diss (blue) beating Old Cooperians 64-29 at Mackenders. Pictures: John Bulloch

Acton from Diss (blue) beating Old Cooperians 64-29 at Mackenders. Pictures: John Bulloch - Credit: John Bulloch

Diss returned to winning ways in spectacular fashion against Old Cooperians to rack up their highest points tally in almost three years.

Dominating the forward exchanges from start to finish, Diss were able to dominate all phases of the game and for the first time this season construct an attacking platform that led to 10 tries being scored.

The emphatic 64-29 victory at Mackenders was the highest Diss tally since a 71-14 thrashing of West Norfolk in the Norfolk Senior Cup in November 2011.

Diss scored first following driving play from the forwards wide out on the right. Old Cooperians then replied with a well-taken try through their backs, levelling the scores at 7-7 with 13 minutes played.

The hosts then took total control up front with captain Fraser Hall scoring two tries from the base of the scrum. Tim Groom, Chris Craven and Pete Bray were in total control from the front row and the engine room of Paul Cayley and John Bergin were dominating at the lineout and in the forward exchanges.

You may also want to watch:

Olly Vincent was also dominating the lineout and ran well in open play for the whole match. Old Cooperians pulled back three points due to Diss' ill-discipline, to reduce the half-time score to 19-10 to the home side.

Roger Coombs' and David Smith's half-time talk certainly had the desired effect with Diss scoring five unanswered tries over the next 12 minutes.

Most Read

It had been a long time since the Diss supporters had seen such enterprising and high quality rugby played at Mackenders.

Giles West scored two tries during this period and further tries were added by Warren Wilby, Jack Peacock and Tom Holt. Jack Peacock, who had an excellent all-round game, converted three of the tries scored.

With over 20 minutes to play Diss were 52-10 ahead. Following this purple patch, Old Cooperians came back into the game and Diss reverted to a rather ill-disciplined approach.

The game did, however, finish with club captain Giles West completing his hat-trick.

Australian Angus McGrath had a wonderful game from full-back, making a number of telling tackles as well as running with determination and guile.

Diss have still not put together a full 40 minutes of continuity but this match was a step in the right direction and excellent preparation for the forthcoming tough fixtures over the next month, with a trip to South Woodham Ferrers up next on Saturday.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus