Ben Youngs agrees to new contract at Leicester Tigers
- Credit: PA WIRE
Norfolk and England rugby star Ben Youngs has agreed a new contract to stay at Premiership giants Leicester Tigers.
Big-spending rivals Bath had been linked with a move for the scrum-half, whose contract was due to expire next summer.
However the 26-year-old, who has been capped 52 times by England, looks like continuing his stay with the Tigers beyond his current, 10th season; Youngs has been with Leicester since he was recruited as a teenager when playing junior rugby for Holt and North Walsham.
'The fact my dad was a Leicester Tigers player and that I can play alongside my brother in the Tigers team here each week is very important to me,' said Youngs, who has 169 appearances for the club since his 2007 debut.
Older brother Tom plays hooker for Leicester as well as England and the British Lions.
You may also want to watch:
'I've been at the club for a long time and it's a great experience to be involved at a club with that strong family connection.
'I'm really enjoying my rugby here, working with Richard Cockerill, Aaron Mauger and the rest of the coaching team. We have a great backroom staff and coaching team, which is important too.
- 1 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 2 Pretty thatched cafe business on Broads for sale for £75,000
- 3 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 4 'We're all shocked' - Butchers shop attacked by vandals
- 5 Anger as woodland used as 'playground and dustbin'
- 6 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 7 Shock as cannabis factory found in quiet Broads' village
- 8 Giant Victorian underground reservoir marks supplying city for 150 years
- 9 Report into woman's murder by jealous ex: 'Employers must do more'
- 10 Homes plan to be revealed for former infant school
'We've had a good start to the season and it's good to see players like Matt Toomua coming in for next season as well as the guys who are agreeing new contracts from the current squad.'
Club captain Ed Slater and fly-half Freddie Burns have also agreed new contract terms at the club.
Tigers director of rugby Cockerill added: 'Ben led the team as captain for much of last season and he is an integral part of the leadership group in the playing squad. I'm delighted that he has agreed a new contract here.
'He is a young man with masses of experience at the highest levels of the game with Tigers, England and the Lions, and he clearly believes we have a very strong squad at the club.
'With Ben and others agreeing new contracts and with Matt Toomua among the new signings for next season, we hope to build on that strength going forward.'
• Follow Michael Bailey on Twitter @michaeljbailey