Senior official to end long association with Norwich Sunday League
- Credit: Archant
Ben Casey is to stand down as secretary of the Norwich and District Sunday League.
Casey, 59, has served on the league's committee for 23 years, the last 10 as secretary, but says his decision to stand down is for reasons outside of football and made 'with a heavy heart'.
In a statement, he said: 'I personally feel that positions such as mine have a shelf life and mine has been reached. In my opinion, a change of personnel in key positions will bring fresh ideas to the fore as, along with other leagues, the battle
to halt the decline at grassroots level continues.
'Having first played in the league when I was 13 years old (you could do that in the 70s) and been involved ever since one way or another, you can see that the Norwich & District Sunday League has played a huge part in my life.
You may also want to watch:
'I have met many fine people and made some great, and I hope, lifelong friends through the game and for that I will be forever grateful.'
Steve Brown looks set to take over as secretary.
- 1 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 2 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Five former MoD homes go up for sale near Norwich
- 5 Christmas Lights Walk with toasted marshmallows coming to garden
- 6 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 8 Two fires in two hours on mid-Norfolk road
- 9 Blind woman 'humiliated' as restaurant turns her away due to her guide dog
- 10 City keeper diagnosed with testicular cancer