Ben and Tom Youngs help Leicester Tigers to memorable win against European champions Toulon
- Credit: PA
Norfolk brothers Ben and Tom Youngs were in the thick of the action as Leicester memorably ended Toulon's nine-match unbeaten run in Europe, with Owen Williams kicking 20 points to see the Tigers home 25-21 at Welford Road.
Toulon's hopes of exerting a vice-like grip on Pool Three in the European Champions Cup were extinguished after Welsh fly-half Williams booted six penalties and converted lock Brad Thorn's 19th-minute try.
Scrum-half Ben returned from England duty to captain his club side against the reigning European champions, while hooker Tom started just his second game since returning from a shoulder injury as he begins his bid to return to the England squad for the Six Nations.
Leicester were made to sweat following an impressive Toulon revival from 13-0 adrift as wings Bryan Habana and Drew Mitchell claimed touchdowns, while fly-half Nicolas Sanchez landed three penalties and a conversion.
The European champions still top their group, courtesy of a losing bonus point, but Leicester have moved themselves firmly into the shake-up prior to next Saturday's quickfire return fixture at Stade Felix Mayol.
You may also want to watch:
The Youngs brothers, who played junior rugby for both Holt and North Walsham, took to Twitter to celebrate the win after the match.
Ben (@BenYoungs09) said: 'Thanks to everyone who sat or stood in the cold tonight at Welford Road your support and shouting was the best I've heard it for ages.'
- 1 Builder took pink pill and ran naked around hotel
- 2 Fire tears through historic Thorpe pub
- 3 Four national high street names to move into former M&S store
- 4 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 5 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 6 Store open despite positive Covid test at town centre Sainsbury's
- 7 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 8 Delays as 23m-long caravan travels through Norfolk
- 9 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 10 Vandals leave £80,000 trail of destruction in car park
While elder brother Tom (@TomYoungs87) said: 'Awesome support tonight! Welford Rd was rocking! Great to be back playing in European rugby! Going to be another tough game next week!'