Beccles Kingfishers make excellent swimming start to 2012
Beccles Kingfishers Swimming Club got the year off to a good start recording 13 new personal best times in round two of the County Winter League.
Some fine swimming ensured that 2012 begun how a successful 2011 finished, with swimmers from all age groups putting in maximum effort in a tough competition against the county's top teams.
The youngest of the age groups is the 11 years and under, and both the boys and girls consisted of four swimmers a year younger than their competition.
But they did not let that put them off their stroke. Lauren Rogers started the gala with a strong swim in the backstroke followed by her freestyle event.
Her team-mate Sophie Long was one of 10 swimmers to gain new personal best times when she competed in the breaststroke and butterfly. For the boys, Max Beevor picked up a new best in a great backstroke swim and his team-mate Ollie Woodcock gained two new times in the butterfly and freestyle.
You may also want to watch:
Henry Barnes, like the swimmers in the 11/u group, was another swimmer against older competition as he took on swimmers two years older in the boys' 13/u group. In doing so he gained new bests in freestyle and backstroke.
Likewise his team-mate Elliott Fenn put in a strong swim to gain a new time in his breaststroke race.
- 1 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 2 Sneak peek inside first £2.7m luxury mansion for sale
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 'It was as if Covid didn't exist' - Latitude-goers report positive tests
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Plot of gold? Land up for sale for £750,000
- 7 Neighbours' shock as man's body found in flat weeks after he died
- 8 Fly-tippers dumped dead relative's rubbish – just half a mile from recycling centre
- 9 Woman in 30s suffers head injuries in violent attack by two girls
- 10 Norfolk couple's hopes of £1m 'doorstop' sculpture dashed
For the 13/u girls, the close trio of Rhianna James, Hannah Barnes and Nina Howell put their hard training into practice with Rhianna taking a new best in breaststroke and Hannah in the freestyle.
In the 15/u there were two more hard-working trios – one for the girls consisting of Jenny Beevor, Nina Bircham and improver of the year Felicity Putman. All three girls swam close to their bests and put in strong performances. The other trio saw Troy Douglas-Collow gain a new best in backstroke, Rober Thurtell in the butterfly and Dalton Yallop again in his freestyle.
To round off a great start to the year, the open swimmers of club captains Louise Shepherdson and Tom Taylor, plus Jacob Barber, Lawrence Lowman and Eleanor Chick ensured they did all they could in a tough age group with some great individual and relay swims.
Another great night of swimming ensured Beccles were well placed for a chance of winning some silverware going into the last round at the end of the month, and also a good building block for the rest of 2012.
If you are interested in developing your swimming further and would like to join this successful and friendly club, then contact Tim on 07727 125427 or email firstname.lastname@example.org