Beccles Caxton take Halesworth and District Darts League title over Earsham Queen
Caxton were the victorious party in the Halesworth and District Independent League despite derby defeat.
Going into the final week of the season there was a single point between Beccles Caxton and Earsham Queen.
In the derby against Beccles Ingate the doubles were shared to leave the match poised at 2-2. With the next six singles shared it went down to the deciding match, where S Driver beat M Cable over three legs and the Ingate held the upper hand.
However with the unbeaten V Mudd on last for Caxton it looked liked a draw was the likely result – but in a battle of the two captains F Ansell pulled off a shock 2-0 win to give the Ingate the win.
It meant an Earsham win would take the title, but they were up against Duke of York, and 180s in the doubles by J Lowe and M Meen set the tone.
Duke rushed to a 5-1 lead and while Queen fought back with wins for G Doughty and A Pidd, J Lowe, N Clarke and D Ling Snr took Duke to victory, leaving Caxton champions.
- 1 Hopes rekindled for new £20m railway station
- 2 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 3 'We're over the moon': Family overjoyed as missing Norwich girl returns home
- 4 Patient dies while waiting in ambulance for hospital bed
- 5 Snow starts to fall in Norfolk - but will it last?
- 6 'Please come home': Family's plea to help find missing Norwich girl
- 7 John Lewis boss bids farewell to Norwich store after nearly three decades
- 8 Obituary: Owner of huge collection of vintage tractors dies aged 75
- 9 New 4,000 home garden village idea criticised by countryside charity
- 10 Warning for drivers as Met Office issues ice warning across Norfolk