Beccles and District Table Tennis League throws up Cup thrillers
Beccles and District Table Tennis League teams competed in the Knockout Cup last week – and there were two very close matches.
Underdogs Framingham Magpies beat Hales Gnats by just three points. Starting with a deficit of 144 points, Gnats slowly clawed their way back with Gordon Howes and Oly Howes winning all their matches.
However, Magpies' Alf Stubbs beat David Flatt and Alan Harper snatched a vital draw against the same player, and these results turned the tie Magpies' way before Barry Fortune scored the winning points in the final match.
Hales New Bees beat Hales Eagles by nine points. New Bees started with a deficit of 72 points, but by the end of the seventh match they had edged into the lead.
However, in the next match Eagles' George Webster secured a very creditable draw against Barney Garrod. Even so, Eagles led by just one point going into the final leg of the final match of the evening.
You may also want to watch:
But Luke Glaysher secured the winning points for New Bees.
Hales Ants and Barnby & North Cove New Boys received byes and will now meet in the semi-finals.
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 3 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 6 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 7 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
- 10 'My heart was racing' - Horse rider's shocking encounter with speeding van
In the league, Gnats beat New Bees 9-1. James Skilleter and Oly Howes won all their matches whilst Gordon Howes won two matches.