Beccles 20, Sudbury 3
Beccles managed a convincing win in sticky conditions at Beef Meadow but once again failed to secure a London 3NE bonus point.
The pattern of the game was soon clear with the visitors looking to move the ball wide and Beccles having supremacy in the tight.
Luke Wade converted a penalty on Beccles' first visit to the Sudbury 22 which was matched by Sudbury later in a half dominated by solid defence. Robert Hall and Adam Edwards once again lead the Beccles defensive line with Sammy Harmer and Marcus Sale punishing in midfield.
Shortly before half-time Rob Wilson picked up from the base of a scrum and powered through for a try converted by Wade. At the stroke of half-time two players traded blows, leaving the referee with no option but to send both men off.
Beccles retained a seven man pack and maintained their forward dominance, with Reece Ling having another exceptional game at tight head and man of the match Ryan Guntrip showing real power in the second row. The absence of their strong running full back limited Sudbury's options.
You may also want to watch:
A handling error was capitalised upon as Wade chipped deftly for Chris Frost to score in the right corner early in the second period.
Sudbury became stuck in their own half as Wade's boot gained chunks of territory. Following a series of drives the hard working Frost popped up on his opposite wing to round off slick passing in the threes to score his second try and give the Bulls a commanding 20-3 lead.
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 3 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 4 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 5 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 6 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 7 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 8 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
- 9 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 10 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
With 25 minutes to play Beccles pushed for the bonus point but struggled to maintain control of the ball when in sight of the line due to the boggy conditions. An increasing penalty count allowed Sudbury to clear their lines on numerous occasions, leaving Beccles to rue the fifth bonus point spurned this season.
Next week Beccles face Old Cantabs at Beef Meadow in the semi- final of the RFU Senior Vase.
Canvey Island 16 Wisbech 10
Wisbech's slide back towards the Greene King Eastern Counties Division One continued in Essex.
The Harecroft Road club, who got promoted last season, lost their ninth league game on the bounce against their fellow strugglers.
Cliff Humphreys' men did pick up a losing bonus point but they are now six points from safety thanks to a horrible run of form.
Ali Comben scored Wisbech's try against the Islanders. Mark Laws kicked a conversion and a penalty.