Beccles 16, Braintree 27
Beccles suffered their first home league defeat in nearly two years as they went down to early table toppers Braintree. In a tough Division 2NE contest Braintree took their chances better to win by a margin of 11 points.
Newly promoted Beccles fielded a similar side to the previous week, with the only changes in the starting line-up being Murray replacing Hoffman on the wing and Scotchner coming in at scrum-half. Hewitt replaced Tipple on the bench.
The hosts started the game well and drove the opposition back in to their own half. The pressure soon led to a try, with Wade showing some good hands to feed the ball wide to Rayner, who squeezed in at the corner. Wade was unlucky when his conversion from the touchline bounced back off the upright.
Braintree came back in to the game, with their big pack driving well from the line-out, and they scored a try by driving over the line. They soon added another after a good move put them in out wide.
Beccles replied with a Wade penalty but Braintree extended their lead with another try from a rolling maul. Beccles had the last score of the half when Wade slotted another penalty after the Braintree centre was sent to the sin bin. Beccles started the second half well and a quickly taken penalty in the middle of the park led to the best try of the game. The ball moved through a number of pairs of hands before it found Rayner in space out wide. He made good progress down the wing before feeding inside to Gedney who scored.
You may also want to watch:
Beccles pushed hard to take the lead but it was Braintree who scored next with a penalty to extend their advantage. As the game moved towards the end it was Braintree who sealed the win when they barged their way over for another score. Musker McIntyre man of the match was David Rix.
Beccles travel to Romford & Gidea Park on Saturday for what looks like another tough game. They will have to put in some hard work if they are going to pick up their first win of the season.
- 1 Man dies after medical emergency on beach
- 2 Man arrested on suspicion of drink and drug driving after fatal crash
- 3 Jets heard roaring over Norwich for training exercise
- 4 'Glagoon' returns to Norfolk beach and locals are loving it
- 5 Appeal to identify man, around 75, who died in medical episode
- 6 Norwich mum and daughter duo shed 12st
- 7 ATM containing thousands of pounds stolen from petrol station
- 8 Family pays tribute to man killed after collision with double-decker bus
- 9 Gilmour advised to quit City for Rangers loan return
- 10 Former factory site to become a new church