Beccles 13, Old Brentwoods 9
Beccles Bulls scraped past Old Brentwoods in a tense London 3NE contest.
They caught the visitors cold with solid driving play putting them into the opposition 22 immediately, leading to a Gavin Hewitt try after eight minutes.
Luke Wade added a penalty before a second Hewitt try following a break by second row Keith Johnstone gave Beccles a 13-0 lead after 26 minutes.
Old Brentwoods scored a penalty on the stroke of half-time and added two more penalties to bring themselves right back into the game in the second half.
The Bulls gave a series of penalties away for infringements at the breakdown which allowed the visitors to gain in confidence and press for what would have been a decisive try. Excellent defence, with man-of-the-match Robert Hall everywhere, held Brentwoods at bay and enabled Beccles to hang on for the win and consolidate sixth position in the table.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Body believed to be missing man found near Norfolk coast
- 2 Revealed: Siblings' bodies were found after father's death
- 3 Neighbours of murdered woman tell of terrifying scene in close
- 4 North Norfolk fish and chip shop among best in the country
- 5 Sales rep who died at nature reserve named at inquest
- 6 Police name murder victim, who died of 'severe head injury'
- 7 Firefighters dash to tackle blaze at coastal holiday resort
- 8 Couple's heartbreak leads to 28 hour stream to support baby loss charity
- 9 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 10 'It did not deliver': Glamping site vows to improve after guests hit out