Battling Wroxham succumb to late goal
Neil Richmond's late bundled effort sunk a spirited Wroxham at the Leslie Field Stadium.
In a much-improved performance from the Yachtsmen, which saw them pepper the Burnham goal in the final stages, there will be many wondering how they didn't come away with at least a point.
Wroxham adopted a 4-5-1 formation from the off, with Joe Marsden dropping into right back and Bartek Pelka pushing forward into midfield in the absence of the injured Sam Harty.
And it was the visitors who made the more imposing start in a scrappy first half, Pedro Sanha failing to connect from a Remy Gordon cross after 23 minutes and Marsden forcing Luis Godwin-Green into a smart save in a drab first 45.
Gordon then wasted Wroxham's best chance just after the restart, the winger latching onto Jack Smith's through ball to slot his effort just past the left upright when he really should have hit the target.
You may also want to watch:
Despite Wroxham's positivity, it was Burnham who took the lead as the Yachtsmen's set-piece demons reared their ugly head once more.
Charlie Kirby's 53rd-minute corner found the home side queuing up at the back, with Nikki Beale rising highest to power his header into the back of the net.
- 1 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 2 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 3 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 4 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules
- 5 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 6 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 7 Nurse's 'heartbreak' over hospital care as her father dies on Covid ward
- 8 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 9 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 10 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
Joe Marsden then equalised with 13 minutes to go, heading in from six yards from Gordon's devilish corner.
Burnham restored their lead in the 85th minute as Richmond bundled in Charlie Kirby's cross with five minutes remaining.
And despite Wroxham's assault on the home side's goal in the final stages, with seven good chances, including two from Marsden and a Tim Cary effort that struck the bar, the Yachtsmen were left bereft of luck as Burnham held on for the win.
Burnham Ramblers: Godwin-Green, Griffiths, Khory-Davinson, Judd, Gordell (Brandon 44), Beale, Kirby, Salmon (Cossington 74), Hunt, Pleasance. Subs not used: Mead, Pooley.
Wroxham: Tibbles, Groves, Halliday, Marsden, Price, Pelka, Smith, King, Cary, Gordon, Sanha (Doyle 75). Subs not used: Alves, Neil, Eddage.
Referee: Andrew Williams