Basildon 76, Wymondham 0
Wymondham's woe on the road continued when they lost their eighth straight away match of the season in London 3NE.
High-flying Basildon showed no mercy on the Red and Blacks, who are keeping their heads above water with an excellent home record of six wins out of eight.
Unfortunately, the writing was on the wall on Thursday evening, when the first team coaches were unable to select an 18 man squad to travel to Essex, although they can consider themselves fortunate as Wymondham seconds had to travel the short distance to Diss with only 13 players.
On the plus side there was the return to first team action for Lee Summers, who it is hoped will now be available until the end of the season, and a debut for Finbar Conway, who has been working very hard in training, and for the colts this year.
That was the highlight as Basildon were able to practise all their training ground moves on the way to scoring 76 unanswered points.
You may also want to watch:
Wymondham seconds did themselves proud. Borrowing one player from Diss and therefore playing the whole game with only 14 they led at half time 17-13 and although in the second half they never gave up they found themselves stretched time and time again and finally lost 37-22. There were notable performances from Marcus DeSouza, Richard Dodds and Will Mitchell, who announced his retirement at the end of the game.
Wymondham III continued their good form with a 41-0 hammering of West Norfolk III while managing to field a full squad.
- 1 Norwich sees biggest rise in Covid infection rates in the country
- 2 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 3 Aviva to close two large office sites in Norwich
- 4 Man who died in west Norfolk crash named
- 5 Nine Norfolk flood alerts ahead of Storm Christoph
- 6 Man who drove 128 miles for fish and chips among latest Covid fines
- 7 Part of seventh skeleton discovered in city street
- 8 Delivery van towed from deep water on road closed due to flood risk
- 9 Going full term during this coronavirus pandemic fills me with absolute terror
- 10 Councillor 'incandescent' over second-home owners breaking Covid rules