Barnham Broom Golf Club’s Ladies have season to remember
- Credit: Archant
It has been a year to remember for the ladies of Barnham Broom Golf Club.
The 40th anniversary of their section was marked in the perfect way as both Norfolk LCGA Inter-club League teams won divisional titles in emphatic style.
Jo Ashmore's first team finished five points clear in the top flight, with Royal Norwich their closest challengers, after winning five, drawing two and losing just one of their fixtures.
And the success was mirrored at a lower level, with the second team recording an even more clear-cut success in Division Five. They won seven of their eight matches and ended up no fewer than 17 points ahead of second-placed King's Lynn II to make it back-to-back promotions.
With Ashmore once again winning the Norfolk Seniors title and youngster Ellie Brown doing the club proud at county level – and further afield – there has been plenty of success to reflect on, and the ladies' section recently held a celebratory lunch to mark the achievements.
You may also want to watch:
'We haven't got the biggest of ladies' sections so to have a season like this really is some achievement,' said captain Liz Whales, a member of the club's all-conquering second team.
'It was always going to be a big year for us with it being our 40th anniversary but this has made it extra special. First and foremost we all go out there to enjoy our golf – that is always the most important thing – but obviously we are competitive as well and it's always nice to win!'
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Man, 41, charged with Pat Holland's murder as human remains found
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Neighbours' horror after two people found dead in 'peaceful close'
- 5 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 6 Reward of £20,000 offered after theft of performance car worth £150,000
- 7 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 9 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 10 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
Liz's term as captain will draw to a close on November 25 when she hands over the reins to Wendy Johnson.
'It certainly kept me busy,' she said. 'But I have really enjoyed it and it has given me lots a special memories.'
The successes followed a sad day for the club earlier in the year, with the passing of Tania Aikens, a key figure in the Ladies' section, who twice held the position of captain.
First team: Ellie Brown, Alex Cowie, Linda Asker, Sheena Perry, Tara Davis, Jessica Warner, Vicki Warner, Vanessa Mann, Jo Ashmore, Teresa Tarrant, Jane Johnson. Second team: Chris Head, June Meadows, Lottie Fowler, Liz Whales, Jill Devlin, Chris Fernihough, Wendy Johnson, Julie Banks and Kay Allen.