Barnard brace puts Dereham on course

NATIONAL WOMEN'S LEAGUE: Dereham III cruised to an impressive 3-1 win against Watton II in the Premier Division on Saturday.

Dereham took the lead after 10 minutes when Alice Waters burst into the box after exchanging passes with Hannah Barnard and fired home.

Gemma Pointer then doubled Dereham's advantage after some good build-up play with Bex Hazell but Watton reduced the arrears before half-time. Dereham wrapped up the points in the second half thanks to Barnard's tidy finish.

Harleston Magpies followed up their first point of the season last week by beating Thetford, who were a player short, 2-0.

Magpies went ahead when a lovely through ball from Josie Tibbenham cut the Thetford defence in half, and Kay Dennis ran the ball into the D and fired past the 'keeper into the corner. Magpies had to wait until late in the second period to make the game safe when Katie Webb scored.

You may also want to watch:

Panthers maintained their 100pc record in the Premier Division after a hard-fought 2-1 victory over Evergreens.

Zoe Gotts put Panthers 1-0 in front after a fine solo run and Gail Rudd made it two with her first goal of the season after an unstoppable strike on goal from a penalty corner.

Most Read

Evergreens rallied in the second half and Natalie Brooks was called into action on several occasions. The home side did pull one back but it was too little, too late.

Norwich City dropped their first points of the season against Harleston Magpies III in a 2-2 draw.

City, who were down to 10 players due to unavailabilities, fought back after Magpies went into a 2-0 lead in the first period. Annabelle Phoenix pulled one back before the break and struck again in the second half to secure a point for her side.

Reepham Ladies saw off a strong Sprowston II side on Saturday thanks to a fine attacking display.

Katie Lake opened the scoring for Reepham and she doubled their lead shortly afterwards helped by some fine work by Michelle Lain.

Sprowston nicked a goal back before half-time, but Reepham wrapped up the points thanks to Sarah Loudon's close-range effort.

Norwich City III retained top spot by winning a competitive match against Broadland II.

City were 3-0 up at half-time, following goals from Jess Harris and Emily Anthony. Further goals from Harris and Anthony saw City finish the game 8-1 winners.

Norwich Dragons III continued their winning run by beating UEA II 5-3.

Great pressure and some excellent passing play in the first half saw Dragons take a deserved lead courtesy of Sue Cross, only to be pegged back just before half-time.

Dragons came out fighting in the second half and quickly took a 4-1 lead with goals from Sue Cross, Sarah Tonge and birthday girl Amelia Dawson. UEA struck back to make it 4-2 but player of the match Caroline Wolfe sealed the victory with a stunning strike.

Harleston Magpies V played out a goalless draw against Dereham IV to maintain third place in the first division.

North Walsham hit eight as they hammered Pelicans III at home. Lizzie Cheesman hit five while Hayley Massingham (two) and Shauna Ellis got the other goals.

Norwich City V were held to a 0-0 draw at home to Lowestoft Railway in Division Two, while Norwich City VI had more luck by beating Evergreens II 5-0 at home.

Jemma Pennick got the first and Lindsey Barnes made it 2-0 shortly afterwards. Pennick then grabbed her second as City took control. Anita Barclay then bagged a brace herself to complete the scoring.

Norwich Dragons IV celebrated a 2-0 win at Hales Hornets thanks to goals from Amy Brown and Pollyanna Watson, while goalkeeper Wendy Jenness was in excellent form to keep a clean sheet.

North Walsham maintained their solid start to the season with a 2-0 win against Watton in the Girls Development League.

Clare Livingstone coolly gave her side the lead and Walsham withstood a second half fightback from Watton before sealing victory with a goal from Ellie Wait.

Norwich City went to the top of the Boys Development League thanks to a 3-0 at home to Tango Titans.

Sam Tomlinson opened the scoring and at the start of the second half Sam Paterson made it 2-0. George Brine completed the scoring after a fine solo run and shot which was too hot to handle for the goalkeeper.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter