Barkingside 2 Dereham Town 1 – Magpies unable to find winning finale to good campaign

Dereham ended their league season on a losing note.

Dereham ended their league season on a losing note. - Credit: Archant

Dereham concluded what has been another highly successful Ryman League season with a disappointing defeat at Cricklefield Stadium, writes Rene Kendal.

It might have been different had they not had a clear penalty appeal turned down in the opening minute after Luke Tuttle was impeded.

Both Division One North sides struggled on the bobbly playing surface before Tuttle struck the base of the post with a firm 20-yard left-foot drive.

Dereham were still ruing the penalty decision when Barkingside were awarded a spot-kick of their own, on 18 minutes, when Jonathan Adebayo was brought down by Matt Howard in the box.

Luke With made no mistake from the spot to put the home side in front.

You may also want to watch:

The Magpies missed a good chance to level when Rhys Logan headed Dan Morphew's deep free-kick wide from close range.

At the other end, Dereham keeper Will Viner made a superb fingertip save to turn Adebayo's volley over the top to prevent the visitors falling further behind.

Most Read

Playing constructive football was proving difficult, but Dereham grabbed the equaliser in the 37th minute.

Fraser Blake-Tracey delivered a quality ball into the box from the left which Tuttle diverted towards Lewis Butcher who slotted home from close range to make it all square at the break.

Dereham manager Matt Henman brought on Ryan Crisp and he immediately won a free-kick 22 yards out, but Blake-Tracey fired tamely into the wall. Crisp then missed a great chance from point-blank range, drilling Adam Smith's pull-back over the bar with his favoured left foot.

As Dereham got on top Logan fired over the upright.

However, Barkingside regained the lead against the run of play in the 71st minute through Michael Spencer.

Visiting substitute Kieran Robbins turned and shot over the bar as Dereham looked for a reply, but Barkingside were denied a third goal when Viner used his foot to keep out Andy Greenslade's low drive.

Logan was thwarted by a last-ditch tackle as he homed in on goal and from the resulting corner Morphew's header was tipped over the bar as Dereham failed to find the equaliser.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter