Barbara Parker doubles up at London Olympics after Team GB selection confirmed
King's Lynn runner Barbara Parker will take on two events at the London Olympics after Team GB confirmed its squad of 71 track and field athletes for this summer's Games.
Parker will compete in her preferred discipline of the 3,000m steeplechase first with the heats on Saturday, August 4, before Monday's final. Parker is ranked number seven in the world over the distance.
The Atlanta-based City of Norwich AC runner will then turn her attention to the 5,000m, with the heats 24 hours later and the final on Friday, August 10.
Parker, who competed in the steeplechase at Beijing four years ago, is hoping to be in medal contention in that event while the 29-year-old will have nothing to lose when the 5,000m arrives.
Olympic veteran Jo Pavey will also run the 5,000m for Team GB; Pavey pipped Parker on the final lap over the distance at the UK Athletics Trials earlier this month.
You may also want to watch:
And 21-year-old Ellish McCoulghan, daughter of former world champion Liz, will run the steeplechase alongside Parker after making the cut.
Newmarket javelin thrower Goldie Sayers has also made the cut for her third Olympics, while Croydon 100m sprinter James Dasaulo line up alongside Adam Gemili and controversial inclusion Dwayne Chambers in the marque race, as well as the 4x100m relay with Christian Malcolm.
- 1 Norwich hairdresser, former boxer and bodybuilder, dies from Covid
- 2 The areas where Covid rates have fallen the fastest since lockdown began
- 3 'Small number' of staff at town's Tesco test positive for Covid-19
- 4 ‘I cried so much’ - Mum-of-four on impact of whole family having Covid
- 5 Norwich Debenhams looks doomed as Boohoo to buy brand
- 6 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 7 Bus crashes into lorry in Norwich
- 8 Body discovered in Thetford Forest Park
- 9 Cycling trail among ideas for new country park
- 10 Norfolk scenes cut from Netflix's Sutton Hoo film The Dig
Dasaulo's parents Akintola and Abosede run Steve McDonald News in Witard Road, north Norwich – ensuring the speed merchant will have his own fan base in the city.